• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Testing PC133 in PC100 mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djb23

I am putting together a new system, and I think I may have fried the mobo and/or CPU with static. Either that or newegg sent defective parts. Either way, newegg is replacing them for free (i love newegg).

HOWEVER, I am not sure if the RAM I bought from crucial is still good (if it ever was). I need to check it so I can send it back if it is defective/fried. I tried the PC100 Ram and the vid card from my working computer in the mobo I got that was bad and it would still not post. That's how I narrowed it down to the mobo or CPU. (It still could be a bad PS from Enermax, but I am betting on the mobo/cpu for now).

I would like to test the RAM I bought from Crucial, but it is PC133 RAM, and the mobo that works is PC100-only. Can I test the PC133 in the old mobo? Would I have to go into the Bios (its an Award bios) and set the memory speed from Auto to explicitly be 100MHz?

I guess on a side note, could my problem be the PS? The tough situation is that newegg requires you report any defective stuff within 7 days, and I won't know if its the PS till after i get the new mobo in...

The fans worked fine when I turned on the PS. So that leads me to believe that the PS is fine, tho it may be putting out bad voltages.

I'm going to order a toolkit from newegg that comes with an anti-static wriststrap. I'm thinking that did it. Plus the tools are probably a good idea anyways.

Back