• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johneyh

Registered
about dual cpus. I am considering putting together a dual cpu system. My question is does it do 2 units in the same amount of time it takes a normal computer to do 1? and what is the better processor AMD or Intel for dual setups?

Generally you can get about the same amount done as two separate computers. Sometimes they're a little bit slower since you have two cpu's sharing the same ram, but for the most part it's worth it for the space savings, and extra hardware - i.e. another case, power supply, mobo, ram, video, etc etc. As far as AMD versus intel right now, if money is no concern get a dual 2.4GHz xeon prestonia setup and you can run 4 clients at the same time and probably pop out 4 work units every 4-4.5 hours. Otherwise get a dual MP system, and you can turn out 2 units about once every 4 hours (depending on speed) My dual XP 2000 system on an asus a7m266D takes about 3:45-4:15 per unit.

My dual is putting out a unit about 35-45 min slower than my stand alone systems. 2 about every 4 hours.. this is mainly because of the slower bus speed of the dual board.

This is a bit of one of Jons stickys from the SMP section of the forum, this may answer you question

AMD MP processors were designed specifically to work in dual processing systems. They work perfectly and are supported by AMD directly.

AMD XP processors were designed specifically to work in single CPU systems, however as of now they work just fine in multiprocessing boards. The key factor in this seems to lie in the L5 bridge which must be closed in order to function in MP boards. This goes for both chips. Most XP chips, to my knowledge, maufactured prior to a couple of months ago, already had an L5 bridge that was not cut. The bridge seems to be cut more often in recently produced chips, evidently. The fix for this is as simple as unlocking the XP itself, except you only have one bridge to connect.

Thanks TC and Acaridans, right now I average 20.43 wu a day but its like crack or heroin lol. Just want to do more and more.

johneyh said:
Thanks TC and Acaridans, right now I average 20.43 wu a day but its like crack or heroin lol. Just want to do more and more.
LOL, guess there's another victim got bitten by the infamous "SETIBug"!! :D

i think right now, a dual AMD (preferable XP) is the cheapest and most efficient way. but keep in mind that the 760MPX chipset was built w/ stability in mind, not performance like KT266/333. and that's why a duallie rig is usually a bit slower than a uni-processor machine. (average 'bout 20-35mins slower/WU)

HERE is the sticky 'bout XP/MP in SMP mode.

good luck!! ;)

Back