• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will my ram limit me? Opinions....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Element-Xero

Well I just spent some money on a watercooling setup that will be arriving soon. I was hoping to get a lot more speed out of my proc, as its an XP 1600+ and people seem to have good results with them (not sure of stepping off the top of my head). The thing is, I have 2x256 sticks of PC2100 Crucial. Will this be my bottleneck? What do you think I can hit as far as FSB before the ram becomes the limiting factor?

thanks, and any personal results and expiriences would be appreciated.

Is your PC2100 CAS 2 rated or is that just your current setting?
I am running a 512MB PC2100 stick of CAS 2 Hi-perf.
I can hit 200 FSB no problem with 2.5 setting. And I get up to 187 FSB with CAS 2 and other aggressive settings. Is your current CPU unlocked? If so, lower the multiplier to underclock the CPU. Then crank up the FSB to see what the RAM can handle. I'm not familiar with your mobo as far as what dividers you have available, in regards to PCI devices limiting your efforts.
Good Luck:)

yeah thats the plan, my old cpu was unlocked but i had too many limiting factors at the time to even bother considering the old data relevent. I could only hit about 150 then, but my system has changed quite a bit since then. We shall see after I unlock this bad boy I suppose. Maybe I'll post up some results when i do.

On an 8K7A, I think it only has the 1/4 divider...that will limit you before your RAM has a chance to crap out, Crucial is pretty good stuff for its rating....

The 1/4 PCI divder has not slowed me down yet. 183 FSB as we type. Thats 46mhz PCI. I have an Intel Pro 10/100 NIC, SBlive Platinum, and a Radeon 8500.

Oops screwd up my math, calculated with 1/3 :eh?: never mind me...

Back