• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Channel DDR for P4?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nate_The_Great

When is dual channel DDR coming for Intel?

Im gonna guess to how it works, so tell me if I'm wrong:

U can use regular DDR memory, but you have to put two chips in. The dual channels is that each chip gets its own seperate channel to the chipset, therefore its own dedicated bandwidth, theoretically doubling the combined bandwidth of both chips.
Am I right?

If I am, then its just a mobo/chipset the upgd when its out, right?

No changing to new ram type?

Does anyone know what is going on, when is a dual channel for Intel coming out?

Getting that would certainly kill RDRAM, and still overclock high (cause its ddr).:burn:

you can already get dual channel DDR for the Intel Xeon series of processors, but I think I heard that it will not be released for the P4 because of the complexity of routing two channels into one chip. The nforce2's dual channel is not like what the Xeon has, as it only really helps the intergrated graphics, and does not increase bandwith to the chip. You may be thinking of DDR-II, aka. pc3200. Intel will not support that until the standard has been finalized. (the pc2700 standard still is yet to be finalized as well, which is why Intel does not officially support it.)

Correct me if I am wrong.
________
Wellbutrin Lawyers

Last edited:
I don't think the original post was asking only about a intel chipset but a chipset for intel cpu's. Unless canceled both via(p4x600) and sis(655) are supposed to release dual channel ddr chipsets using current ddr for P4 's this year.

well mobo manufacturers are looking to impliment it 4th quater of 2002 or 1st quarter of 2003. 1066Mhz RDRAM is fast enough.. I want Serial ATA already darnit!!

Back