• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram Timings and memory to cpu ratio.Help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richardwalker73

Hello.
I have a quuestion to you guys.
I have an Asus A7V333 Mobo and 512 of 2700 ram and I have my ram timings pretty low but, and this is the thing, if I take my FSB higher than 145 I lose the ratio 4:5 and it will only let me have a ratio of 1:1.
I should note that this is the same even when my ram timings are auto (or by serial presence detect "SPD")
I know that my RAM is supposed to take higher FSB'S than it is running at and I wanna use em!
I really would like to know this as I cannot unlock my XP chip (tried so many times with defogger and just couldnt do it.)
Anyway, this ratio, thing can anybody help please?
Note: Bios is up to date.

Come on! I can see you guys looking!;)
Loads of you must have this mobo (that or the A-Bit equivalent, with a smattering of Gigabyte etc)
I have been testying myself with less agressive timings and higher FSB but the limiter is still there.
Does anybody with a different Bios have a different situation?

Last edited:
145 appears to be the limit on most mobo's with PC2700 RAM using assynchronous timings. Have you tried upping the vdimm? You'll just have to play around and check your scores and see which one gives the best performance.

It's not a limit, it's a crappy feature Asus seems to be putting on boards lately. The P4B266 loses it's 3:4 mulitplier at 133Mhz + and the P4B533 does the same thing even though the chipsets used can handle higher memory speeds. The particular multiplier option is no longer available to be selected in the bios once you hit the limit Asus set. I guess they decided screw the AMD guys with it too.

Thanks you guys.
Tiger, by VDimm do you mean the RAM voltage, cos if you do I would agree but I cannot find the jumper for it in the manual so where is it?
These limiting factors on boards and chips now are CRAP. It would seem that AMD with their locked XP chips are holding us back, whats the point when early indication of the Thoroughbred/ Hammer etc are less than impressive?
We baught the hardware so it should be up to us to do what we want!
Got that out of my system now.
I know you guys are a clever bunch so has anybody got a soloution to my problemo?
I am getting bout 11k on 3D mark at the mo but a freind of mine with an almost identical system (cept' his GF4 is a leadtek) is getting about 12k as he has worked out this 4:5 ratio stuff.
Thanks in advance you guys.

Back