• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung PC2700 max 230MHz @ By SPD help me please!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Csybe

Hi!

First of all, my configuration:

Abit BD7II (Bios: 9X)
P4 1,6A
2x256Mb Samsung PC2700 DDR SDRAM

I got this system two days ago, and after some "investigation" it became ovibious that my overclocking bottleneck is the RAM. On "By SPD" settings in BIOS, it can go only ~230MHz without errors!!! If I set my RAM timings manually in the BIOS, and change everything to to the highest timing (2.5-3-3-7), it goes better, currently at 310MHz without any errors. Haven't tried more. I've tried to raise the ram voltage to 2.7V, errors decreased, but not disappeared. I've raised VCore as well, but no change. The modules are in dimm0 and dimm1 socket. The error map contains errors from 0-512Mb, so both module behaves so strange (tested with memtest86). Any ideas, guys? My CPU is running @2400 with default voltage, I would like fast RAMs as well...

thanks

something is wrong...

I've tried 320MHz 2.5-2-2-7, no POST, only beeps. Set the voltage to 2.7V: no boot, but a message - BIOS ROM checksum error...

Try just one stick at a time, not two. If they perform well individually, then it's a dimm problem. If they perform crappy individually, then RMA the sticks back.

To get rid of the bios check sum error message just correct your bios settings and reboot. That happens clearing of cmos.
:D

A tried the sticks individually, no result. The best they can do now is 160MHz 2.5-6-3-2 @2,7V

I don't know if it's original...where can I check it?

wow, that sucks
im running my 512 true samsung 2700 dtl at 2-5-2-2 at only 145
i tried 3:4 at 190 at the lowest setting and that didn't worked
only at 135fsb 3:4 it would work
all running at 2.7v too
maybe i should have payed 30 moer and gotten the corsair...

koosh

mdcomp said:
To get rid of the bios check sum error message just correct your bios settings and reboot. That happens clearing of cmos.
:D

that is not a problem, I just press reset and hold down the insert key, itt will start at default clock speeds.

Csybe said:

that is not a problem, I just press reset and hold down the insert key, itt will start at default clock speeds.
does that work with all the abit boards? i guess i could just try, but then again... nah i do enough resetting as it is. :beer:

Jerky said:
does that work with all the abit boards? i guess i could just try, but then again... nah i do enough resetting as it is. :beer:

Seems to be the case. Recently I had a bios rom checksum error on my Abit BG7 and to fix it, I just held down the 'Insert' key upon powering up. It worked great.

kooshball said:
W00T got fsb running at 144, mem at 3:4 at 192!!
at 2.5-6-3-3 2.7v
kick ***...

koosh

My friend got it at 200MHz 2-5-2-2 @2.7V...
On settings you mentioned it is stable at 220MHz...

Csybe said:
A tried the sticks individually, no result. The best they can do now is 160MHz 2.5-6-3-2 @2,7V

I don't know if it's original...where can I check it?

Even if its not original it should be able to do much higher than that. After all PC2700 is rated at 166, not 160 with stock timings. Return the stick, you probably just got a bad one. In SiSoft sandra it may say if it is CTL or DTL(CTL=good, DTL=bad).

----------------
---------------

wow, nice!!
is this DTL or original CTL?

koosh

kooshball said:
----------------
---------------

wow, nice!!
is this DTL or original CTL?

koosh

Don't know I'll ask him.

I wish mine could only 160 2-5-2-2 :mad: :eh?: :argue:

i would say higher mem at higher cas would be more efficient then low mem and low cas.
try to lower the fsb and use 3:4 at 2.5-6-3-3
good luck

koosh

Back