• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram cooling mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
Vote yea or nay on this idea guys...

I have a brand new Corsair XMS PC3200 v2.1 512mb module. I also have a copper heatspreader lying around collecting dust. I'm wondering if I should remove the aluminum spreader and frag tape that Corsair uses and replace it with the copper spreader and Arctic Alumina?

Sure I worry about voiding the warranty, but I do know how to remove heat spreaders safely, and I'd keep it safe if I ever needed to RMA the stick. I haven't installed the memory yet becasue I've gotta switch out my motherboard first. I'm just wondering if you think changing the heatspreader would be worth the effort.

I think the real performance difference you see will depend on what thermal compund is currently under there and which one you intend using when you swap them out.

As long as you don't loke any DIMM slots in the process, why not?

From what I've read, memory doesn't get that hot, so upgrading the heat spreaders might not give you any additional performance. But I've never actually tested this out before; this is only what I read on the internet.

that is very dangerous i lost a stick of 512 crucial 2100 trying to do that cause i got some of the AA in the pin leds.

not worth it for the minimal gain you get and you lose your warrenty.

they guarentee nothing will happen to it at upto and including 2.8v so i say just keep it at 2.8v and if you want to go higher get a fan to go over it

Even when I was pumping 3v into my Corsair XMS3000, the heatspreader barely felt hot at all. I wouldn't worry too much about ram cooling, it most likely will not get you any further. I remember reading an article on the front page a while ago in which some guy watercooled his ram and didn't get any gains, it just wouldn't run any faster.

Back