• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to get 1.5gb have 512 want another 2 what should i get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dxiw

Disabled
Right now I have a Corsair XMS DDR333 PC2700 512mb dimm in my mobo. I have 3 slots. I want to put another 512mb stick but another would cost me 208$ and thats a lot. Samsung claims to be a "true pc2700" chip and people say good stuff with it. I run all my memory at cas2.0 and 2-2-2-5. Is it wise to buy a samsng 512mb true pc2700 and chip for only 170$ and put it with my corsair. I still want the best overclocking...so maybe its better to bite the bullet and buy corsair again? I dont see any crucial pc2700 512m out yet and I hear muchkiin is ok. What should I get? I want to spend 300-400$ and buy 2 more sticks of 512mb so I can use all 3 dimms and have 1.5gb. Should I just spend 416$ (ouch) and buy 2 more dimms of Corsair XMS DDR333 512mb or what?

EDIT: I've decided to stick with Corsair for best compatibility and o/cing...now although I will be running at 333mhz ddr and maybe upto 364ddr o/c'd with the memory, just to be ready for the future should I buy the XMS pc3200 ddr400? It will underclock to 333 right? That should give me more room to work with when o/cing...I dont like that its rated cas2.5 not cas2 like the others though.....

Generally speaking, it's much better for stability reasons, to use identical ram modules from the same brand. Many Mobo manufacturers do also recommend it.

P.S. WTF do you want do you want to do with1.5 Gb of Ram???

I like to do Adboe Premiere video stuff and also Adobe Photoshop stuff with huge files. SOmetimes I rip dvd's in the background while playing games. Sometimes I work with huge files that are 650mb a peice. But really the main reason is because I want atleast 1gb becasue I ahve all of the hard drive paging disabled in widnows and virtual memory crap and everything that makes fake ram on the hardrive. I run everything in ram not virtual memory crap and keep the windows xp kernel running in ram all the time to.. its blazing fast but right after booting because of all these options like 400 mb of ram are allready taken up. So if i had 1 gb or 1.5gb I coudl keep all my stuff disabled make it blazing fast and still have lots of ram to work with whenever i wanna od stuff..

Back