• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ram timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

melly

I would like to know if there's a standard to giving the specs to your ram timings/cas?

For me(I'm using pc2100) I usually put cas2 3t 5t 2t ...

so if someone else puts 2-2-2 what are they referring to?

Another question. Is there any performance effect on using rams that are double sided electronically as compared to single sided?

Welcome to the forum (though no one gave me a welcome:( )

So far as you timings go ( ram to cas, ram precharge etc) the best thing to do is read you motherboard manual.
These timing denote in basic terms how much of a delay there is in your ram, ie the lower the figure , the better.
When someone puts 2-2-2 they are referring to their timings on individual settings, though I think it depends on what order they appear in you mobo's bios.
The higher your ram is set (usulally indicated by a timing of 2) the more unstable it is. So my advise is tinker with it and run a few benchmarks (or see if it boots!) if it doesnt then you will have to back off a little.
Trial and error is the key.
Also, as far as I can see ppl will respond to your posts more when you list the kit you have as RAM timings and a plethora of other things depend on the hardware you have.
Cheers

Hi there,

Thanks.. I appreciate it.

I'm using 1 x Kingston 256mb pc2100 and 1 x px2700. Both running at 333 on a MSI kt 3 mobo.

I can only run it at 2-2-3. Tried running it at 2-2-2 but there's no way it'll boot up, even with everthing else not overclocked! :)

cheers
Melvin

Back