• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turn a 486 CPU into a waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AnonymousDude

Disabled
Okay, call me crazy. I was looking for things to turn into a waterblock today and it dawned on me. The top of a 486 (or pentium) cpu is a flat ceramic. Why not use that as the base. Then on the water side, the pins will act as a dispersion in some way. But does ceramic conduct heat as well as copper?

Isn't ceramic more of an insulator, both electrically and thermodynamically?

Hy Spode.. Someday I thought about ceramic too... Maybe just go to an brick industry or sytuff like that, pick a piece of argila, mod it into a waterblock plenty of surface area and put it into the owen... than, when ready, pick it and make wth argila again a top cover alerady with the Hose stuff.... Like a U$ 0,2 waterblock?

>( I hate to get into the online stores and find only 20-40 dollars waterblocks when anyone can do a good one aluminiun heatsink based with less than U$5 perform as well as a copper waterblock..! Just have time and hands to!

Ceramics are poor conductors of heat. Thats why they use ceramic bricks inside kiln ovens, and as welding bricks. (Also cause of their high temp properties).
There may be some special prupose ceramic that I don't know about, but if there were, it would probably be really expensive.

Back