PDA

View Full Version : socket 7 sticky?

repo man11
07-31-02, 06:07 PM
Here is my idea. I see quite a few questions on how to upgrade socket 7 systems. Many people don't know that with a K6-2 or K6-2+ they can make many P1 133 to 233 AT boxes run at 450 to 500 MHz. These aren't gaming machines by any stretch, but they make good basic boxes for grandparents, or any one else who just wants a basic computer for email/websurfing etc. I was thinking of putting together a collection of info and links to help people get some life out of what many people consider to be throwaway computers. The obvious place for it would be AMD CPU's.
If I do the leg work, would you consider making a sticky out of it?

LutaWicasa
07-31-02, 07:37 PM
I personally think that's a pretty good idea. I can see that being quite helpful not only for the "basic" surfing comp and word cruncher, but many server uses. If you'll draft it I'll be more than happy to present it to that sections Mod.

repo man11
07-31-02, 07:41 PM
Ok, I have it mostly done in my head. I should get around to getting it laid out by this weekend. I'm not sure how to post it though. Any suggestions?
Just do it here, and have a mod move it if it passes muster?

LutaWicasa
07-31-02, 07:50 PM
I'd say post it in the mobo section (AMD?) with a title along the lines of...."Possible Socket7 Sticky/FAQ"

Mr B
07-31-02, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by LutaWicasa
I'd say post it in the mobo section (AMD?) with a title along the lines of...."Possible Socket7 Sticky/FAQ"

Exactly. Post it there, and send me a PM and I'll be happy to check it out and stickify it. :)

Great idea. Not only for small servers, or basic machines for grandparents/pre-teens to learn on, but upgrading older stuff like this can make some short money distributed computing systems (ie, Folding@Home, SETI).

Saves the landfills from getting plugged up with stuff that might be thrown into the scrapheap otherwise, too.

A win-win-win situation. Write it up!

B.

repo man11
07-31-02, 08:04 PM
Ok, I'm on it.