• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Liquid cooling options and travelling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JoT

You can't fire me, I have
What I'd like to know is pretty simple (unless it becomes an AMD vs Intel -type arguement):

What's the best liquid to use in a liquid (water) cooled system that is dielectric?

&

What are the effects of turning over and otherwise moving a system around on the cooling system? (to a LAN party, for example)

Well, can't let this slip away unanswered.

The best liquid for a watercooling system is water. Not trying to a smart alec or anything, but water has the best properties for removing heat the way we do.
An oil like mineral oil would be a good dielectric, but it's viscosity (thickness) keeps it from being pumped as easily as water, and it cannot match water in it's ability to carry away heat.

For a LAN rig, I'd suggest an inline system, without a reservior. Because many res' are openable, there's a chance for leakage. I'm sure there's many here that have res' in their LAN rig, but the fewer parts to go wrong, means less will go wrong.
And as long as the bleader/fill tube is capped off, there's little to no chance of leakage, and can be run/carried in any orientation. Fastening down your waterpump using a piece of foam will quiet it and keep it from banging around inside the case.

From then on, it's quiet, cool fraggin' !
Welcome to the Forums!

thank you :)

I've already planned to get this case here, since it comes with a water-cooling system--which saves me a lot of trouble, but I don't know anything about the system itself, really.

"Note: The case does NOT come with the components needed to cool your system. It includes the dual pumps, reservoir, and the radiator."

That much, I do know ;)

I'm a real newbie when it comes to water-cooling, and since this system comes with tons of additional cooling components besides the cpu part (for a price, but not a huge one), this seems to be the best idea for me.

I plan to email or call this company and ask about their system's intricacies(sp) a bit.

Oh yeah, about the mineral oil, would it be possible to mix it with some other dielectric liquid and make it a bit thinner, thus making it a better cooler?
But wait, doesn't oil refuse to mix with other liquids? gaahhh >_< *head explodes*

Last edited:
Back