• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

maxi-jet 1200 / Via Aqua 1300 hard proof there made to run inline??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rUfUnKy

I know people are running these pumps inline and I've yet to hear of any problems (besides running a little hot) I'm wondering if anyone has hard proof from the manufacturer that these pumps are really made to run inline or submerged. (i.e.. scanned manual / manufacture website)

I think they are made to run submersible, but the place you buy from puts plastic barbs on to make it an inline pump, but I could be wrong

If it helps on the box it says FULLY SUBMERSIBLE

I haven't installed my scanner yet, but I'm looking at my ViaAqua manual right now, and I'll quote (including bad english translation, and spelling errors):

Before installin a ViaAqua pump, please read and follow these important safeguards and safety guidlines.

a) Do not operate ViaAqua pump above of outside water level. Doing So can cause permanent damage to the pump.

That's what's written inside the front cover of the manual that came with my ViaAqua 1300 from BeCooling (premodded with 1/2" fittings).

most submersible pumps can be run inline it just a matter of sealing off the leaks.

yah but they just worried that the pumps might run dry. if its not running dry u shouldnt have any problems

Diggrr said:
I haven't installed my scanner yet, but I'm looking at my ViaAqua manual right now, and I'll quote (including bad english translation, and spelling errors):

Before installin a ViaAqua pump, please read and follow these important safeguards and safety guidlines.

a) Do not operate ViaAqua pump above of outside water level. Doing So can cause permanent damage to the pump.

That's what's written inside the front cover of the manual that came with my ViaAqua 1300 from BeCooling (premodded with 1/2" fittings).
The Spyder said:
Same thing here- its says on the box Inline or Submergible-
OK this is why I'm confused because some have said the manual says it's inline and submergible and some say that it says only submergible.:eh?:

Maybe there are two different versions of the 1300. Maybe the older version was not intended to run inline. The box for mine says it can be run either way. I run Inline.

{PMS}fishy said:
Maybe there are two different versions of the 1300. Maybe the older version was not intended to run inline. The box for mine says it can be run either way. I run Inline.
Where did you get yours..becooling?? and if so did you get the one with the prefitted barbs (even though I would imagine they are both the same pump just one fitted with the barbs :) )

Yep I got mine from Becooling, I opted to get the retial box and get barbs from Home Depot.

ive never seen a via aqua before so i cant say however i have held and inspecteed mag drives i know they can run inline. but i have a aquaclear powerhead 402 its a 270 gph partially submursible pump.any way thats kinda on the subject i guess...

I doubt that you will find anything but the conflicting information contained in the instruction manual.

I just tracked down the purported manufacturer of the Via Aqua Seriesof pumps: Commodity Axis. Boy were they hard to find! The web site is VERY shallow and offers very little about the pump itself other than the hard specs, which are available anyhwere the pump is sold.

Here is the company mission statement:

"Commodity Axis, Inc.
-Bringing Products to Life.

Commodity Axis is an importer, exporter and manufacturer of products for the Aquatic industries. Headquartered in the United States, we primarily work with companies within the Pacific Rim-China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong and Thailand.

Another aspect of Commodity Axis' business is the importing of OEM products and manufacturing of private-label products for our targeted industries. We also scout and manufacture products for import, based on the highest quality specifications, while overseeing quality control. Only products meeting our exacting criteria are offered to our clients for import, export or manufacture. There is a modest fee for product searches with additional time being billed as needed. Commission fees are based on a percentage of searched products purchased.

Commodity Axis' service features include:

- Bilingual product research based on client specifications and needs.
- Direct relationship with manufacturer reduces middleman costs.
- Thorough product searches.
- Product ordering.
- Quality control at manufacturer.
- Product prototyping.
- Product design and development.
- Packaging.
- Product launches.
- Marketing and advertising.

Commodity Axis' services provide many measurable benefits to our clients. We keep product costs down and increase profits by manufacturing in China. Our clients become direct importers, eliminating the need for distributors. Small to medium-size companies can develop their own product brands and order smaller quantities. Ensuring confidentiality of our service enables clients to utilize Commodity Axis with completed confidence. Our "personal touch" customized service meets the unique needs of our clients, giving them a competitive edge on their competition.

Bring your products to life with Commodity Axis' personalized service and competitive advantage.
Please visit our site again as we will be adding new information as it come available. Thank you."

Quote was lifted from this site:http://www.commodityaxis.com/index2.htm

Maybe more information than necessary but, here it is.

Thanks for the link frodoski..I just emailed them to see what they had to say ..I'll post there reply if I recieve one..:)

{PMS}fishy, are you useing 1/2" barbs if so what size threaded barb will I need..

Whew, just installed my scanner to show you what the manual said.
The pic shows a paragraph from page 1 of the manual, and a paragraph from page two also.
The box says "Fully submersible", not mentioning in-line use.

On a side note, my pump uses 1/2" barb, 1/2" (male) NPT fittings.
Ciao

ok thats weird! diggrr thats really weird...

well my maxijet has been running inline for a long time, still good! always good, bender has been running his for almost a year now inline...

-edit- ooh ill go find my book or box later for my pump but i know iv seen on the box or the book that it can run inline.. but it is a powerhead and those do do submerged...

Last edited:
Diggrr said:
Whew, just installed my scanner to show you what the manual said.
The pic shows a paragraph from page 1 of the manual, and a paragraph from page two also.
The box says "Fully submersible", not mentioning in-line use.

On a side note, my pump uses 1/2" barb, 1/2" (male) NPT fittings.
Ciao
Man I'm confused... Diggrr, where did you purchase your pump?Also, if someone could scan there box that says it can be run inline I would realy like to see this..:eh?:

the pump needs cooling in the upper compartment, which is normally not water tight so that water can move freely inside it and cool the moter section of the pump. The underside where the impellor moves the water is completely seperate. Not allowing water to circulate in this upper chamber will destroy the pump. It may not die soon, but you're overheating the pump. You can still stick it in a small airtight "resevoir". Still a closed circuit water cooling system with a "pump" component that's 4"x4"x4"

With ref to the Maxijet (I have 2) it states in the accompaning booklet that they can be used in-line or submerged and show diagrams of how to use them in both configurations. I personally have found that the seals on the Maxijet impeller housing are not that good and they leak when used in-line.

safemode said:
the pump needs cooling in the upper compartment, which is normally not water tight so that water can move freely inside it and cool the moter section of the pump.

I know exactly what part you're talking about...Maybe it would be possible to buy a couple of those little aluminum heatinks that are like 1" x 1" and stick them on to help cool that area. On mine, the part you said that is not water tight just pops right off.

Also, when it says "fully submersible" it makes it sound like a feature, thus implying that you would run it inline normally

Safemode, I think I am going to do exactly what you just mentioned....
This is the reply I got from the e-mail I sent out yesterday..inquiring about the Via Aqua 1300

Hi Steve,
The pump is designed to be operated fully submersed at all times. If you have any further questions do not hesitate to contact me again
Kevin Shiotani
Commodity Axis

Back