• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling disaster (part II)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

well I finnally decided to just scrap the video card water block idea, so i plugged everything in .. and ... nothing

so i guess the water did damage the computer somehow :-/ guess me and my bad luck ...

I also plugged in my geforce 2 in another computer to see if water had the best of that too and it seemed to work fine... although every once in awhile it would flash a screen like this

screen.jpg

so there's to show y'all... water cooling ain't all fun and games

oh wasn't any really leaks, barbs just fell off ... i dunno, i guess i should start figuring out what's not working and what is

Firstly try using a hair dryer at a distance of about 6" for 5 mins to get any water out. Then I would suggest spraying the back surface of the card with one of those sprays used for cars. In the UK the brand name is WD40. But its normally used to exclude water. You may see areas on the surface that have a grey deposit on them. Spraying with this stuff and then wiping off with a soft cloth will remove this. It happened to me with drops of condensation dripping down from the water block.

i think everything is dried out already, it's been awhile and i even washed everything out with alcohol, i'll go bring everything to my friends house and test my cpu and mobo i guess... heh if it's the cpu maybe i could just get a XP 1600+ =P

NoKtEm said:
i think everything is dried out already, it's been awhile and i even washed everything out with alcohol, i'll go bring everything to my friends house and test my cpu and mobo i guess... heh if it's the cpu maybe i could just get a XP 1600+ =P

Newegg.com has them for 56.99 free shipping.

Give the guy a break .... :)

You might wanna try using distilled water. I was careless enough to not test it and i had it spill onto my video card and 10/200 card and after dryig it it never worked straight away. I left them for 2 days and they both work fine now.

my friend hooked me up with sme double de-ionized water =D Maybe it'll work better after i give them all a alcohol bath, hopefully.. heh

Don't feel too bad, I had a similar watercooling disaster. I was testing my loop out of the case and was attempting to move it into the case when disaster struck. The whole system basicly came apart and to make a long story short, my floor got very wet.:(

how was your computer?

edit: i mean. .. haha did it work after everything dried out and stuff?

Last edited:
I'm about to build my own watercooling setup. You guys got me scared now :D. NoKtEm, didn't you run the setup for a couple of days before you actually placed it in the computer?

NoKtEm said:
how was your computer?

edit: i mean. .. haha did it work after everything dried out and stuff?

Well, luckly this happened outside of my case so nothing got ruined; I just had to fill and bleed the system again. I had been running the loop without any leaks for about a day, I tried to move it a few tubes came off=a lot of water on my floor. It was a real mess.

Garfield: Don't be discouraged, at first(when this happened) I thought watercooling was a waste of money and just a real pain but I have had it working in my system for just about a week and I think its great!!! :D I would never go back to air.:cool:

Garfield said:
I'm about to build my own watercooling setup. You guys got me scared now :D. NoKtEm, didn't you run the setup for a couple of days before you actually placed it in the computer?

yea but my gemini video block barb kept falling off, untill i put on some silicone... so when i was putting it all in my comp the tubes twisted it a little bit and the barb just fell right off :-/ The d-tek guy actually said i should try putting on some marine goop and it'll never move again, so i guess i'll try that =)

ah well.. even if my hardware is really permanantly screwed, it was all good =) never going back to air either

oh sorry, i didn't see ur response ..

yea.. just like ur reading it.. they just fall off. it was screwed in but the plastic is kinda cheap and the threads are really small.. they just kinda ... fall off if u twist it a bit (like a couple mm's, not even a quarter of a turn)...

Back