PDA

View Full Version : How to configure AIM with Routers

AZN
08-23-02, 01:48 AM
about once or more each week i see a new person asking how to get AIM to send files and still use the Router. Well guyz, i got great news, and u dont have to disable the firewall.

At defualt settings the AIM port is 5190. What u must do to recieve files is go into FORWARDING of your router and enter port 5190. That port will need to be forwarded to your LAN IP. Use both TCP and UDP Protocols. That should allow u to recieve file with AIM. Now if for some strange reason that doesnt work u can try enabling DMZ for your LAN IP.

Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup.

MSN works the same way. Just forward the defualt ports 1080 to ur LAN IP.

I hope this will clear up the confusion with routers and DMZ. If you didnt know. DMZ just allows 1 IP to be firewall free. But you still must forward the ports to the IP you have on DMZ.

The thing what most people seem to overlook with routers is that the NAT sometimes doesnt forward ports to your IP. Thats what the Port Forwarding page is for.

AZN

triflux
08-23-02, 02:12 AM
"Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup."

thats the hard part my friend some people I talk to are pretty thick headed.

I thank you for writing that, its just for me I am so used to having a perfect solution and guess in this case there isn't exactly

AZN
08-23-02, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by triflux
"Dont forget your other party. If he/she has a router/firewall they too will need to configure there setup."

thats the hard part my friend some people I talk to are pretty thick headed.
well then they just wont get files. But if u change ur router setting u will be able to recieve.

AZN

triflux
08-23-02, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by AZN

well then they just wont get files. But if u change ur router setting u will be able to recieve.

AZN
cool! I did not know that

NoKtEm
08-23-02, 03:31 AM
finnally! i've been trying to figure that port for aim for years =D thnx

Arkaine23
08-23-02, 03:40 AM
I will try this one more time. <sigh> I don't want to expose my computer via DMZ. Seems to me that Linksys routers have especially picky firewalls when it comes to file-sharing. I have not been able to share or recieve files, and in many cases I can't even game online, whether the ports are forwarded or not. i should probably just set-up an ftp server...

AZN
08-23-02, 11:59 AM
If any1 wants to hit me up on AIM its "cravenkay" MSN is "kay_v@hotmail.com"
I dont mind and will help any1 that needs it. I won't garrantee success but i will try my best to get u configured correctly. So far i havent failed.

AZN

Daemonfly
08-25-02, 04:52 AM
What if you have 3-4 PCs on your internal network and you want them all to be able to fully use AIM, MSN, etc..?

bdf24
08-25-02, 09:05 AM
I've not tried AIM but I've forworded port's for ICQ on both PC's connected to my LAN. Now I can recieve files :). Before I never could. Thank's AZN. You've been a great help.
Only problem I'm having now is my PC upstair's (one I built for the wife for school) will lockup every now and then. Then I'll loose the network connection and cannot access the internet or anything. Finaly after a while of screwing around it will come back. I think I figured it out though. I think my Soundblaster live card is going bad or something. Cuase I'll loose the sound sometime's when this happen's. I took it out and enabled the onboard sound on the board and all seem's ok now. But we'll see. Although I think the NIC card and Soundblaster card were sharing IRQ 12 though. So that could have been the problem as well. The onboard is sharing IRQ 12 with the NIC as well. But does'nt seem to be causing any trouble's. If it does I'll have to move the NIC up a slot or two.

I've got to get it figured out soon though. The wife get's all upset when the PC's arent working right. She think's I'm trying to tweak and screw around to much and that's why it won't work. Could'nt imagine why she would think such a thing :). But the PC upstairs is not tweaked or overclocked at all (yet hehehe). But she would'nt believe me anyway.

stompah
08-25-02, 12:17 PM
Dude thanx. I always had trouble with AIM transfers, back in my AOL DSL days (no router) I couldnt transfer files out. I could never initiate the connection. Now I should be ableto do so. TY.

Note: MSN never had a problem sharing files or net meeting. Hence I say once again anything that is AOL related is da debbil!

AZN
08-25-02, 04:13 PM
bdf24,

do u know how to change IRQ? if not then just try another PCI slot if u can. But always leave the PCI slot next to the AGP free. That one is share with the agp if u dont have a AGP VC. U can use it if u have no choice. but i always leave it open.
since this is affecting only ur wifes pc i dont think it will fix it but its always nice to have the latest firmware for ur router. It generally helps fix alot of crap on the router.

BEFSR41 (http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp?fwid=1) thats the 4 port linksys firmware. I read from your other post thats what u use.

AZN

AZN
08-25-02, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Can O' Beans
What if you have 3-4 PCs on your internal network and you want them all to be able to fully use AIM, MSN, etc..?
good question. I'll look into it. I guess for now untill i figure it out u can only do 1 at a time. U can switch ports in the router whenever u need the other pc to recieve. I know its kinda silly but it works.

I dont know if this will work but u can try adding the ports to all the LAN IPs u want. Not sure but it might confuse the router and only allow the first IP to work.
I'll look into this and see if i can find the answer to multiple IPs.

AZN

RED Hot Machine
08-25-02, 07:03 PM
I know with Netgear routers will only let you forward ports to one machine at a time.

On some routers you can add a service, this allows certain ports like 5190 for aim to be used my multi machines at once. I've seen this function on netgears, not sure if other routers have the function aswell.

Another way around it is to use Trillian, this allows you to specify which ports you want to send and recieve on. I use this here at home for 2 machines, each uses different forwarded up and down ports.

AZN
08-25-02, 07:28 PM
i still havent found the answer yet, but a quick fix could be setting AIM to use different ports. 5191 maybe. The only thing is i dont know if those ports will interrfear with any other ports.

AZN

Daemonfly
08-25-02, 11:26 PM
Well I have a TrendNet DSL router, so I'll try messing around with it.

I've always had problems with forwarding, everything works fine on the internal LAN, but nothing can be seen from the outside. One of these days I'll set a single PC up instead of the router & see if it's the router or my ISP blocking most of the ports.

Maxvla
08-27-02, 03:38 AM
Well I have a TrendNet DSL router, so I'll try messing around with it.

I've always had problems with forwarding, everything works fine on the internal LAN, but nothing can be seen from the outside. One of these days I'll set a single PC up instead of the router & see if it's the router or my ISP blocking most of the ports.
$$ says its your router.

Daemonfly
08-28-02, 04:09 AM
Yeah... I wouldn't bet on it as chances are good that I'd lose ;)

Just have been too lazy to put a single PC on the net & test it out :rolleyes:

It's a 1 port TrendNet router going into a 8-port 10/100 switch feeding the internal LAN.

AZN
08-28-02, 04:42 AM
u dont have to test it out, im almost positive its the router. have u tried port forwarding? what were your problems?

AZN

Daemonfly
08-28-02, 11:44 PM
I set all the ports I was trying to use to the IP of my server PC. I could see it on the internal IP just fine, but neither I nor a friend could see it on the external IP.

No servers would ever work with it, web, UT, etc... but it didn't bother me much at the time. ISP is a very low end DSL ISP.. $10 a month for the service, very low upload speed as well :(. I was just makign server for practice, and to have a very small webpage, etc...

Brother works at Best Buy, so I can get a cheap Linksys, etc...

They just got cable in my area, so the whole setup might change soon anyway.

Also,
Are there any higher end routers that work with DSL/Cable and offer support for multiple servers, etc? Would it even need to be a "DSL/CABLE"? Isn't the connection out of the modem your basic 10-baseT connection?

AZN
08-29-02, 12:24 AM
multiple servers? what are u asking? i dont quite know ur setup or what u want out of it. But for the most part the linksys is ok for home use and u can hookup as many servers as u like. yes it would need to be dsl or cable. It wont route T lines and stuff.

AZN

TC
08-29-02, 12:32 AM
Something some of you may want to consider is upgrading to a better router. Cisco uBR924's can be had for less than $200 on Ebay. That gives you a lot more control than something like a Linksys unit. You can create access lists and all the usual stuff that a full featured router has.

AZN
08-29-02, 12:51 AM
great deal. At work we mostly sell sonic walls. Thats a great router/firewall, more settings then u can imagine. But for the most part the home users are fine with linksys, and the ones that know better wont be asking questions on this thread so u see my point in recommending linksys here;)
but u are absolutely right, linksys is by far the best. However is it the top choosen router for home.

AZN

bdf24
09-07-02, 04:32 PM
I like the linksys. But now I'm running into trouble's where there's not enough port forwarding space. All the spot's are filled on the screen. Between the two PC's it uses them all up. Is there a way to get more? or is there a better way to go about it then doing them all individually for each PC each PC.

Daemonfly
09-08-02, 05:44 PM
I had a thought... yeah, just one..

What if you forwarded any ports to the network's broadcast address?

Forgive me if this is rediculous, as I don't know much about networks and I can't test it with my router (as it sucks).

bdf24
09-08-02, 08:46 PM
I had a thought... yeah, just one..

What if you forwarded any ports to the network's broadcast address?

Forgive me if this is rediculous, as I don't know much about networks and I can't test it with my router (as it sucks). I thought about that as well. But thought it was too easy so it probobly would'nt work. Or could possibly expose more port's to the outside world for hacker's.

Caffinehog
09-09-02, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by AZN
What u must do to recieve files is go into FORWARDING of your router and enter port 5190.

How the heck do you do that? In fact, how do you change ANYTHING on your router?

AZN
05-11-03, 03:18 PM
Bump cuzz some people still have trouble with this.

Chris
05-11-03, 04:28 PM
what of you want to forward the port to more than one i.p, can this be done? so that both computers connected to the router can send/recieve files.

Neco
05-11-03, 10:00 PM
Righto here we go.

I am using my Linksys Wireless Acces Point /Router as an example.

In my house I have 4 PC's. Mine, my mothers, brothers, and sisters.

First thing you want to do to mess with router settings is access your router.

This is usually done at the address (in internet explorer)

The default password for my router is admin - but I changed it to something only I know. I suggest you do too. Consult your manual for the default password.

Now look at all the pretty settings! Now once you consult your manual and find the section where you can forward ports, you will be able to forward to IP's.

Now I don't know about all routers, but port forwarding will NOT work on my Linksys router unless all the PC's I am forwarding to have a static IP address. What this means is that each computer is manually configured with a permanent IP address on the network.. (instead of using DHCP).

Now if you are not using a static IP you will have to. But to keep the structure of this post simple, fill in the port range you want to forward and set it to the IP 192.168.1.xxx (xxx = the 3 digit IP of the computer you are forwarding too.. i.e 192.168.1.101)

Now I have my port range open, for the sake of being simple. forward down from port 2300 up to 5190. This way I can host a lot of directX games on the net without a problem and send files over IM's and receive too.

If you want to forward one port only, set the port range in both fields to that port. e.g. 5190 - 5190.

Now set the ports you want to forward to I.P 101, 102, 103, etc.. whatever you need. Don't worry if your PC is not set on that IP yet.

Now once those changes are applied in the router, we go to our Network Connection settings. This can usually be accessed from the control panel (Network option) or if you have the little icon in your system tray just click to the options through that.

This is how I have mine setup.

Ip address selected as manual

DNS - you should set this to whatever DNS your router is using. My router has a page listing that shows my internet IP, DNS, etc.. You can get yours from there as well, or consult your ISP for the DNS if you need to.

Subnet 255.255.255.0

Set your default gatway to your routers IP address.. typically 192.168.1.1

This is all you should need to be able to forward ports. Just make sure the IP on your computer is the same as the IP on your router that you set to forward ports.

Don't give any PC's the same IP.

I hope this helps someone out, and was easy to understand. This may or may not work the same on all routers however.

I hope I didn't miss anything.

nerdlogic
05-11-03, 10:36 PM
Nice little guide AZN. Linksys routers will forward ports only to one IP address per line...meaning that each line will forward selected ports to only 1 IP address, so I have to use 2 lines to run it for both computers.

Oh, and if you're having trouble trying to figure out how to change the settings on your router, you can generally use the http protocol along with the internal IP address of the router.

For me to get to my router, I use my web browser and go into:
http://192.168.1.1
and I can access my router. You should be able to easily find the internal IP for your router from the manufacturer site.

DDR-PIII
05-12-03, 09:30 PM
thakns for the help :)