• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need advice ASAP RE GA-8SIMLP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

OK, got a shot to pick up a couple of these moterhboards (GA-8SIMLP ) for like $70 at the local COMP USA. P4, sis 650gx, integrated everything, video, lan, sound, etc.. Looking to use this as a node in a folding or seti farm.

http://tw.giga-byte.com/products/products.htm

I need to know how well these MB will overclock.

Official specs say FSB 400. BUT, it looks like they can go much higher than that, AND, the manual says you can set the memory for 333 DDR.

I've been doing a ton of research lately on the Athalon MBs, but am short in knowledge with the intel mbs and chipsets.

Can I just drop a 18 or 16 mhz P$ into this board, crank up the FSB to 133 and have a 2.4 or 2.2?

Any help with this intel stuff is appreciated.

Thanks

The BIOS from the manual looks as if it's the same as mine (GA-8SRX, but can't 100% sure though if all of the available speed settings will be there)...meaning that you will have very good OC features. I can adjust my FSB, Memory, AGP and PCI busses independantly (up to a certain point).

Best to contact Gigabyte support to ask about BIOS similarities.

Have a look at this link for a good GA-8SRX board setup http://www.asusboards.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15850

It's been noted that it's difficult to get DDR memory to run at 200mhz (DDR400) and I've thus far been unable to get mine there...the highest I've gotten is 195 and then it was sketchy. It seems the chipset doesn't run well that high as I've seen Corsair at 400+ speeds on Intel based boards.

You should be able to get a good OC from the 1.6 or 1.8, but there are no guarantees in any OC. I pretty much went from 1.6 to 2.14 in the first day of my 1.6...but was unable to push further than 125FSB when I had a 1.8. But the newer 1.8s seem to be much better at OC more consistantly.

Good luck.

Here is a picture of my BIOS at the Frequency setup page. Those are my memory speed options at 141FSB... sorry the pic is a bit fuzzy, but as you can see I have several speeds to choose from according to what my memory will run. The AGP has speeds of 56, 70, 80 and 94 available to choose from. The PCI has speeds of 28, 35 and 40. The voltage I am running for that FSB is 1.550 with up to 1.850 volts available in .025 volt increments, and I have +0.1 volts added to AGP and DRAM...up to 0.3 volts is available.

Back