• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

blew my mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slogan

i have a via p4x266-pe11-L mobo and it just one day blew... ive had it for one month and somehow it just didnt liek me and decided not to work...when i tried to start it up the fans and all would come on, then the long anooying beep would come on, indicating there was no RAM or the agp slot was empty.. but both worked perfectly.. i called the via and the company i bought it from and of course they didnt know jack.. so im wondering wth couldve happened... i didnt try to overclock or nothing, but i think it might have been from a power surge or somin...plz help cuz i dont need this 2nd board to blow :}

Could have been a power surge if you're not using a good power strip.

Or it could be an(other) example of the quality that has made VIA famous.

You'll need to test the board with a known good stick of memory and video card, but my hunch says you'll have the same problem and the memory controller on your mobo is dead. (This has been a consistent source of grief on VIA mobos.)

If its under warranty but the retailer is saying tough luck, put on a pair of comfortable shoes and enjoy your stroll through RMA hell. If you're lucky, expect a dozen or so e-mails to get VIA to approve a return and then another month to six weeks to get a good board back.

Frankly, I'd write off whatever you paid for the VIA part as a learning experience and buy a good Intel i845E board from a vendor that won't blow you off if there is a problem.

Good Luck-

BHD

Back