• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BD7II (inaccurate temps) + P4 Retail HSF (temp controlled fan) == Fan runs too fast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehlr

Registered
BD7II (inaccurate temps) + P4 Retail HSF (temp controlled fan) == Fan runs too fast

We all know the BD7II has problems reporting temperatures 10-20 degrees C too high in the BIOS.

The retail P4 HSF has a temperature controlled fan that spins between 2400 and about 3300 RPM, depending on the temperature it detects.

The fan uses the temperatures reported by the motherboard to control the rate of rotation.

As you would imagine, under this scenario the fan spins faster than it should since the BIOS is reporting temperatures hotter than they really are.

What's the big deal then? Well, if the fan spins faster, it's naturally going to be louder.

The solution I guess would involve hacking the BIOS to change the reported temperatures. I believe I remember reading that Mr. Natural hacked another BIOS to report temperatures more accurately. It would be nice to apply a similar hack to the BD7II BIOS. If I could get some documentation, I'd be willing to do some hex editing and try out a few things on my board.

Any info / comments out there are welcome.

The fan uses the temperatures reported by the motherboard to control the rate of rotation.

Wrong answer, the fan uses a thermistor built into itself to control speeds, there's no way for the motherboard to report temps back to it.

Thanks for clearing that up. Could I ask you at what speed your fan normally rotates?

I don't have a stock fan so I can't tell you. I just know about the built in temp control because I researched it helping another person here.

Back