• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help OC Gigabyte 8IHXP Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dizzy in Dallas

I am new to overclocking so bear with me if I do not use the correct verbage.
My system is 2.26B/Gigabyte 8IHXP/Kinston PC 1066 (A01 34NS)
512 Total 2 sticks of 256. 350 Power supply
I want to overclock as high as possible with factory Intel heat sink and fan.
So far I have the FSB to 145(2465) with only other adjustment in BIOS being Overrim voltage "Enable"
It is rock stable at 145 with no heat issue (45c)
My next Bois option is 148, But when I go change to 148 F10 and save/continue it boots goes out (nothing on screen/no video).
I have to unplug outlet from wall and plug back in. Then it boots up and says "Cpu is at wrong setting" so I have to go back onto Bios and go go back to 145.
I have the memory in the first 2 slots closest to the CPU and the crimss in the 2 slots farthest away from CPU. I am assuming that correct? (1and 2 for memory) and 3 and 4 for crimss.
I have tried various combinations of raising the Vcore threw1.575 so on and the memory from 800 to 1066 but it still comes back with "CPU is at wrong setting" at 148FSB.Can some help me with this? What else can I do? I do not think this is a heat issue or a memory issue because it says "Cpu at wrong setting". I think I should be able to go past 145. Can some help me get to the 148 hurdle I am stuck at please?.

I have the GA-8simlp. You should FEEL GOOD, I can't get my 1.8A over 121 FSB. I know its the proc, cause the memory goes to 380+ and I can lock the agp and pci. SO i'm going vidpinning.

FOR YOU ...... It sounds to me like a CPU voltage issue, .... but you should check out the other componets first.

When you get to 145 FSB, do you have timing controls for memory, AGP, and PCI on that board? Try to keep the AGP(66) and PCI (33) at spec. If you can set the ram speed seperately, lower the ram speed. LONG TERM, you want faster ram more than faster proc, but we do this for diagnostic.

IF, you can set ram, PCI, AGP close to spec, and you still fail at 148, then its the proc. Stay at 145 or volt mod at your risk.

IF when you reduce the speed of everything else, and THEN you can get to 148, then its probably NOT the proc, (and probably is memory?)

Good luck.

ive found how to bust it back up

ive foudn that if u raise the voltage on the processor to about 1.6v than your able to overclock on this board al the way up to 2.665mhz/156bus.....but its not superstable..it wont pass a sandra burn wihtout rebooting, and the processor will get up to like 50 degrees with regular cooling full load....when i first got the board it would go up to 2.665, and then it mysteriously stopped and wouldnt go past 148bus until i rasied teh voltage on the cpu...ive also found that in the bios putting the bus up to 156 will cause the machine to not boot up..but when u use the program it works fine

Go to the intel cpu boards. They have detailed information on how to "overvolt" your P4 processor.

In short .... if you connect some of the pins on your P4, the mother board will think the proc needs a higher default votage, and voila, more volts to your P4. usually, the pins are connected with wires, hence "the wire trick". I, instead, connected the holes on the mb with "rear window defogger paint" to make the connection, instead of wires.

All instructions, with pictures, are on the intel cpu board.

Have fun.

I know this will sound counter intuitive, but I had similar experiences and the following worked.

Believe it or not, the problem may lie with your Kingston 1066 RDRAM. For one reason or another, I believe that regardless of your mulitplier for memory, i.e., set at PC800 or PC1066, if you use 1066 RDRAM, the board will only use the equivalent of a 4x multiplier. Hence at even at a mere 145 FSB, your RAM is running at 4x and can't handle it. I luckily had a gig of PC800 lying around and I tried that with a Ram Setting of PC800 and 156 FSB with a PIV 2.53 at 1.7 v-core - rock stable. With 1066 Kingston, I could not get it to post with the exact same settings and had the exact same problems you describe. I suspect much of the 1066 RDRAM out there now, is not actually true 1066, but 800 that will run at 1066. The makers however, probably set the registry in the RAM to indicate 1066. The result is our boards recognize the ram as 1066, but the manual ram setting can't seem to override this. Therefore the ram will run at stock speeds as 1066 but any oc makes it run at unstable speeds because of the 4x problem. Just my humble opinion, but it worked for me. See if you can borrow some PC 800 keep your ram setting as such and try the same OC. Good luck.

Dizzy,
Sounds like you're doing the right things. Mem in slots 1&2, crimms in slots 3&4, Vcore (1.5 default +0.2 in bios menu =1.7max), agpV 1.6-1.8, rimm Over volt enabled, rdram set at 1066, no obvious heat issues.

I suggest the following:
1. Rig a fan in your case to point directly at your rdram modules. If you're using the Kingston 1066-32 modules, get a Thermaltake mem cooling kit (A1092) for each module, which includes 2 heat spreaders with conductive thermal pads to stick them on. The Kingstons come with only one heat spreader built in, unlike the better Samsung modules, which have 2 spreaders, one on each side. The TT metal spreaders can be easily bent to fit exactly, one on each side, even though there is the one existing built in Kingston spreader. Since a major limiting factor in OCing with 1066 rdram is the mem yield quality itself (which we have no control over, Kingston is the best for now), going the extra mile to cool the mem may be helpful.

2. CPU cooling is a key too. What HSF are you using? Just because you don't detect an obvious heat issue, doesn't mean your hsf is as efficient as possible, for your setup. Are you getting your temp numbers, using the Gigabyte Utility Manager applet? If not, try it, to confirm your temps & fan speeds. Sometimes an extra fan, over the cpu area can help. Of course, the basic case cooling air flow, cool air intake low & hot air expel fan placed high applies. Cable obstructions & unnecessary fan (inner case) guards can really hamper proper air flow. Even though the Intel stock hsf is decent, you need something a little better, at the very least.

3. PSU 350 should be ok, BUT for great OCing 400 or higher is usually best. A high quality PSU for a P4 system is one component not to cut corners on. Voltage/power rail distribution is at the heart of many OC & system stability issues.

4. I don't advise cpu wire voltage mod, for the simple reason, the latest P4s can do reasonably well without it & that mod almost always eventually fails, frys your board or cpu, or some other component. Yes, I've used that mod succesfully with Abit boards, had some fun too, but in every case eventually went to a permanent board soldered mod or removed it, for true stability, etc.. Using wire or conductive paint, it doesn't matter, you will have problems, unless you're extremely lucky & make no changes to your cpu setup (like a simple reapplication of AS3, e.g.), the cpu is sitting on eggs with a wire mod.

5. I assume you're using Bios F4 or F6, for best chances to OC. I assume you've installed latest board drivers form Gigabyte site too. No need to use EasyTune (not fully supported), if you are, uninstall it.

6. When the new true 16 bit Samsung 1066 becomes available, you may be able to OC higher.

7. What is your video card setup?

8. I assume you formatted/clean installed OS, for best possible chances, for OCing, with stability.

Back