• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P2B max PIII processor on a slotket?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Paul Phillips

Registered
Hi,

I'm sorry if the P2B has been discussed to death but I've got a couple of questions.

I've got a P2B Rev 1.04 and an Asus S370DL. I'll set it to 1.8V.

What's the fastest processor to stick in it? I might as well get the fastest available as they're all pretty cheap now.

I'm sticking to 100MHz FSB as I'm not into risking any instability and I'm not into modding the board or processor as I'm pretty cr*p with a soldering iron.

So I've ruled out any idea of using a tualatin. Is it just a case of sticking in the fastest coppermine? I believe they went up to 1.1GHz and the tualatins started at 1GHz. Anybody know the chip serial number for a 1GHz coppermine as opposed to a 1GHz tualatin so I can be sure I get the right one? Do I need to worry about "CPU stepping" whatever that is? What's "E", "B" and "EB" all about ?

I expect the stock HSF won't do the job? I've seen good things about the Alpha PEP66 although I'm not sure if its available in the UK.

Back