• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair 1066 with 8IHXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

T-REX

Registered
Hey I'm new here and was wondering if anyone knows how corsair twin 256mb 1066 sticks will work with the GIG 8IHXP mobo. I've got the board but I'm waqiting for the sticks to arrive. I'm currently building my dream machine so everything is still in the clouds so to speak.

Should work fine, although I haven't seen anyone try Corsair 1066 memory on this board yet (most of us have used the Kingston, prolly because the Corsair wasn't available yet).

One thing to watch out for...since the 850E boards and the 1066 RIMMS are so new to market, some folks have had to RMA their mobo or memory before everything worked smoothly. So if you have any problems during installation, keep those 2 components in mind.

I have only used the Kingston 1066 Ram, but found it to be a problem when overclocking. Ironically, the fix was to use PC800 Ram at 3x. I think the reason for this is that, notwithstanding the multiplier you manually select in the bios for the Ram, i.e., 800 vs 1066, the board runs 1066 Ram at 4x. Consequently, you may not be able to OC to the extent you may otherwise be able. I'm not sure, if it is due the Ram, e.g., it may be registered or the board itself. At the end of the day, however, the board is solid, stable and has a fairly good set of OC options.

The Corsair 1066-32 rdram IS KINGSTON (Toshiba manu).

I got this directly from Corsair. When their version of 1066 rdram was first announced, I contacted them to find out if they were using true Samsung rdram chips, like they've done with other mem they sell. True 16 bit Samsung rdram 1066-32 is still NOT available. Later, when the new 16 bit 1066-32 Samsung is released, Corsair will probably change the offering. I was unhappy that Corsair didn't say upfront that they were using Kingston & acted secretive about the specs of their memory. The general impression given was the new Corsair 1066 was Samsung, & mentioned in their new "enhanced mem product" line.

When buying any rdram, ask for a rdram validation reference number, so you can see & verify, actually what rdram parts you're getting. If a vendor cannot give you the info you need to check this, then find one who will. Many vendors are passing off rdram 1066 Samsung, which is actually rdram from rdram 800 yields. rdram that works at 1066 is not the same as true 1066 rdram. There is true 32 bit 1066-32 rdram on the market, rimm 4200, but the one mobo available now using 32 bit rdram has major issues.

Back