• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD'er needs help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

badgers

I am thinking of building a P4 system.
anyone hitting 166FSB?
if so which motherboard and processor?

which steppings are doing the best.

I have been reading a little and it seems that the 1.8 is the one of choice.

I am pretty good with AMD stuff but Intel just cut prices so I wanted to see what it would cost to put together a system based on the intel 845 chipset.

does the intel application accelerator work with the 845 platform?

I run Win2K and office 2K and autocad, none of which has P4 optimizations.

any help is appreciated

I have been able to get 166MHz (higher with Corsair 3200C2). I would go with the 2.26B simply for the higher standard FSB. About 7-10% performance difference between 400/533s. Although the 1.8A is a good choice as well. I built two systems with the ABIT SA7 and the 1.8A. Both of which overclocked very well.
The Intel Application Accelerator does work with i845.
The ABIT BD7-11 and the IT7 are very good choices for their features and reliability.
Most of my experience has been with ABIT boards, so try to get some input on some of the ASUS boards. I am told that some are great, but have not actually used them.
Exactly what optimizations are you talking about?

I have read that Intel is being sued over the "performance" of the P4.
The only time the P4 does well is in P4 optimised applications, or benchmarks that Intel has helped write. This is kind of the basis for the law suit.

My copy of Win2K and Office 2K along with AutoCAD and MS Visual Studio 6.0 are not P4 optimised.

I agree that I would rather buy a 133 Stock processor and go for 166Mhz FSB and Mem bus, synchronous.

thank you for your time and have a good day

do the intel boards have the 1/5 divider for 166mhz FSB?

has anyone used Cas 1.5? on DDR memory

where do you get your processors from(the good steppings)

which heat sinks are performing well?

Back