• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rdram board w/ agp 8x?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obliv

do these even exist? every rdram board ive found has nothing but agp 4x only. I just bought a radeon 9700 pro, cant let it go to waste on 4x.

I have yet to see one, but you could still run it on 4x without much of a performance different. 8x is kind of overkill right now.

I am waiting for this exact same combination, frankly ... and have not seen a board based on it. I'm running older games which do lots of texture swapping (they don't understand that videocards have more than 16 megs of memory, nowadays). The 8X would give me a nice little speed boost in those games ...

However, if you are running more recent games, 8X is probably *less* important. That's a little counter-intuitive, but newer games are smarter about what to do with videocard memory than older ones. Sure, you would be missing a bit of the performance, but it's less likely that you could tell the difference.

I'm trying to figure out which 8X board to get for myself. After noting that DDR is much more stable while being overclocked, and having my eyes set on the new 25x100 northwoods ... I'm thinking about further investigation of SIS and VIA chipsets for the P4 for this fact ONLY. Otherwise, I'd probably go 850E ... I have a non-O/C'd 2.533 on a P4B533-C at work (video encoder) that is pretty quick. Of course, it's also embarrassing that my work desktop is now faster than my home PC ... a situation I hope to fix before the end of the month. :)

obliv said:
do these even exist? every rdram board ive found has nothing but agp 4x only. I just bought a radeon 9700 pro, cant let it go to waste on 4x.

Ok I posted this in another thread(cut`n paste):

This is a DDR based card though.... But I`ll use it with DDR-400, so I think it will nice performance anyway. Note that this card might not work with more than one stick of DDR-400 pc3200.

The P4S8X are based on the SIS648 chipset. One of the big advantages of this board IMO, is that it has AGP 8x. If you`re going to upgrade you`re gfx card later it will surely be an AGP 8x card (the new ATI radeon 9700 will be the first AGP 8x card).

About Serial ATA: It`s a thing for the future like AGP 8x). As of now, I have a quite conventional ATA100 disk. I don`t even think there is any S/ATA HDs out there yet. Anyway... The P4S8X will still be able to use all of todays HDs (ATA - 66 -100 or -133)
The new Serial ATA HDs will be able to deliver up to 150MB/s, in comparison of todays best at 133MB/s.

About IDE cables: It think, if I remember right, i will get 2 IDE cables for ATA 100/133 and 2 cables for S/ATA. I even think I can use them all at once, since they have different outlets.... I`m not completley sure though..

About overclocking: Allmost all the ASUS-cards I have bought, have been very good for overclocking. I don`t think this is an exception.
I`m more unsure about the chip I have bought... P4 2.53MHz is not very suited for oc`ing I think. I would rather buy a 2.5 if you are into heavy overclocking. I got a nice price on the 2.53, so I went for it.

Cheers from the cold north,
Snowman

Last edited:
There's not as much potential in the 2.533 compared to the 2.500, but I'm pretty happy with my OC results ... it isn't much, but for what I'm doing, every bit helps.

Back