• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choices, choices, choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ArBiTaL 24

There is no spoon
Right:
first off i have to decide whether to buy AMD or Intel for my new system. I'm in an Intel room so expect and replies to be intel-based and pro-intel. However, up until now, i have always been pro-AMD. Dunno why, i think a friend converted my back when the K5 was state-of-the-arts :D
However, in light of recent advancements of speed in the Intel quater, i am seriously considering an Intel based system.
How i have had all my questions answered for AMD, i'll ask them all again for intel.:p.

Please also see Choices, choices, choices in the Intel CPU's room and RAM for Intel? in the Ram room.

So, which Mobo is best for Intel cpu's at the moment? why? specs? What do these support that AMD's don't? what speeds of stuff like FSB?? And ANY other general info about Intel and their mobo's is gratefully recived, as i'm thinking about converting from an AMD fanatic and need all the help i can get:p !!
Thanx, JS.

p.s.
RAM: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120299

CPU: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/editpost.php?s=&action=editpost&postid=1016058

Last edited:
I think the speed issue is a draw between Intel and AMD. Unless you're running AutoCAD in your bedroom, both have much, much more speed than any application will demand. And if that's not enough, both have combinations with a lot of overclocking potential.

AMD procs do cost less, sometimes a lot less, but what Intel offers in return for the extra money vacummed out of your wallet is chipset reliability and stability. For me the choice is really between Intel and VIA, and its no contest. I think an extra $100 is a small price to pay for a system that works.

If you want to overclock, the Asus P4B-533E is the mobo of choice. If overclocking is less important, I really like the stability and feature set of the Gigabyte GA-8IEXP. One board that I've heard too many RMA stories to recommend is the very popular (and tres trick) Abit IT-7 MAX2.

The best value in the P4 lineup today is the OEM 2.4B chip, which can be had for $203 at Newegg. But because you cannot unlock P4's (a la the XP) and you can only increase the FSB to overclock, you need to do a little digging and calculating to find the best overclocking P4. The old 1.8A chip was legendary for its headroom. Of the newer chips, the 2.5GHz/400MHz has the best overclocking potential. (But go in knowing that 3.0-3.15GHz is about all you are going to get out of any aircooled P4.)

And I'm another fan of the Corsair XMS memory. I've seen a lot of overclocking success with both the 3000 and 3200 sticks, but I'm more concerned with latency.

Hope this helped-

BHD

Last edited:
hi,

I'm going to buck the trend of p4b533 and say the TH7II
mobo from abit.

why? RDRAM baby.:eek:

you just can beat the bandwith...and P4's love it.

with the bandwith I get at 133fsb I can beat peeps with a p4b533 that are running at 185fsb in sandra memory benchies.

oh, it's also cheaper to buy pc800 samsung then to buy corsair xms 3000 or 3200.
yes cheaper.

now why would anyone want to spend more money and get less performance???

just a thought.

one more thing.

dont let any one tell you that it is easyer to OC with DDR then it is with RDRAM.
there are so many peeps here OCing with RDRAM at high speeds.

mica

Last edited:
micamica1217 said:
hi,

I'm going to buck the trend of p4b533 and say the TH7II
mobo from abit.

why? RDRAM baby.:eek:

you just can beat the bandwith...and P4's love it.

with the bandwith I get at 133fsb I can beat peeps with a p4b533 that are running at 185fsb in sandra memory benchies.

oh, it's also cheaper to buy pc800 samsung then to buy corsair xms 3000 or 3200.
yes cheaper.

now why would anyone want to spend more money and get less performance???

just a thought.

one more thing.

dont let any one tell you that it is easyer to OC with DDR then it is with RDRAM.
there are so many peeps here OCing with RDRAM at high speeds.

mica

I agree that RDRAM is a viable choice, but its not as clearcut as you believe.

The price (at Newegg) for a stick of 256MB PC800 and the Corsair XMS 3000 or 3200 in the same size is within a couple of dollars of each other. But while DDR becomes less expensive for larger capacities, PC800 increases in the cost per megabyte. A stick of 512MB DDR (again Corsair XMS 3000/3200 at Newegg) is $184, while a 512MB stick of PC800 is nearly $300. If you want to use more than 512MB of memory in your system, then there is a substantial price advantage to DDR compared to PC800 RAMBUS.

Also, the performance comparisons I've seen between CAS2 DDR 3200 and PC800 indicate no performance advantage for either.

Finally, beginning next year Intel will stop making retail chipsets using RAMBUS. If you want to carry your PC800 or PC1066 onto a future motherboard, you are going to have to buy a board Intel intends to be used in the server market. If history is any guide, those boards will cost substantially more than those aimed at PC's.

BHD

Back