• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bd7II - Has DDR now, but will RAMBUS fit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oc jason

I have been away for awhile now, deployed and what not. Well my p4 rig, running a bd7II has 1x256 or Mushkin pc3000 in it, and i recently came into 2x512 of pc800 rambus. Now even though I have had this system a few months now and its my first Intel system, I have never used Rambus at all. I was under the impression that the Rambus will fit where my DDR is now ? Is that correct. And I was also told that Rambus must be ran in pairs like 2x128 or 2x256 or 2x512, that you need to always have 2x to use Rambus. If not great b/c actually my 1x256 does fine so I really dont need a gig, so I can use 1x512 if that is possible but if not o well ill juse use a gig of pc800 RDRAM.

So what is the lowdown of what I got

BD7II
1x256 pc 3000
2x512 pc800 RDRAM

Also is RDRAM overclockable at all, and what settigns do I need to change in BIOS to run RDRAM. Will my over or unoverclocked RDRAM be faster then my DDR

Right now my pc3000 Mushkin is NOT overclocked, so wil lmy RDRAm be faster then the pc3000 when not overclocked if I decide to not overclock it.

TYIA

Last edited:
Sorry, but you won't be able to use RAMBUS on your BD7II. And on all but the very newest boards and memory, RAMBUS does need to be used in pairs.

Overclocking RAMBUS systems is a mixed bag. Some users can get moderate improvements but most that I'm aware of run into a lot of headaches. The best P4 overclocking platform today is the Intel 845E chipset that uses DDR, which you already have with your Abit board and "B" Woody.

PC3000 DDR and RAMBUS PC800 are very close in performance, but you can overclock a DDR system to notably outperform PC800.

And welcome home.

BHD

thanks alot, well that is not a bad deal then, it just means no systewm swapping and i now have

2x512 pc800 and 7x256 pc100 144pin for sale :) , that should pay for some nice new stuff.

Grab a TH7II.... This can use RDRAM (but not DDR!) Overclocking RDRAM isn't easy, but overclocking your processor while using RDRAM isn't hard.... you just have to decrease the multiplier of the RDRAM. (Or at least this is what I've heard... I've never had RDRAM....) Those who have RDRAM, please go into this in more detail!

Back