• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4S8X- Anybody have one? How is it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lamigra420

Registered
I am looking that this Asus board for my new gaming rig. I really want the stock DDR333 support, even though I'm going to overclock it. I love the options on this board. Asus has always put out good products. I figure this should be a good stable foundation for my overclocked gaming rig. I'm looking at the P4B533-V also as an alternative if I can't wait for more concrete reviews of this board. Those that have the P4B533-V seem to be really happy with its performance. So if there is anybody out there that has one and can comment on their experiences with either the P4S8X or the P4B533-V please respond. Also I need some help with a Case and power supply and a heatsink. I want to make sure I have enough power and good ventilation for overclocking. So far I've looked at the Antec Plus 1080AMG Case with True 430w Power supply. I want a case with front USB and Firewire ports. Aluminum would be nice but I don't want to pay $200 for the case alone. Looking to spend $150 or so for both. Mwave has the Antec for $145. Thanks for your suggestions and help.

P4 2.53 GHz CPU
P4S8X or P4B533-V Mobo ?
512 MB DDR 333 Memory - Samsung or Corsair?
Winfast A250 GF4 Ti 4400 Graphics Card
Western Digital 800JB 80 GB HD
Lite-On 40x12x48 CDRW
Lite-On 16X DVD
Creative Audigy Gamer Sound Card
Case?
Heatsink? Thermalake SLK-800?

I'm also considering this board because it's one of the firsts sis 648 boards. What bugs me is that serial ata plug. I would have prefered 2 ide raid. Now, i must find an adapter if i use this board, and it's a really rare thing. Perhaps i'll just wait for another one... Other brands will have theirs soon.

Of course they make S-ATA drives.....and the AGP 8x Prob is down to the card not the mobo (Bios rev on the card needs updated)

But the point of buying a agp8x motherboards would be for the radeon 9700 for the next 4 months... So the problem is shared.

I would wait for a review of at least 3 648 boards before getting one. I've only seen one or two positive posts on the p4s8x in other forums. The shuttle board should have been out by now. I got my p4s533 refurbished cheap, and will wait for the 648dx before trying another board.

not good overcloker

the P4S8X does not look like a very good board for overcloking. I have not been able to overclock my 2.0A CPU. If it boots at all, it is very unstable. I found the P4S533 a lot better (for overclocking)

Back