• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit Sr7-8x Or It7-max2 For Gaming Rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lamigra420

Registered
Both of these cards look good but the SR7-8X has the new AGP x8 DDR 333 support standard (although only two DIMMS). The IT7-MAX2 only supports 266 w/ three DIMMS although I know that you can overclock it to the 333 or 400 levels. The AGPx4 might hold things back in the future, but by then I'll need a new board probably. The IT7-MAX2 is on the more proven 845E platform but the SIS 468 looks good! I want to overclock so this is a real point of consideration. I see alot of the IT7-MAX boards in this forum but probably its because the MAX2 is relatively new. The prices of the two boards is one of the only areas that separate them. Newegg.com has the IT7-MAX2 FOR $199.00!!! While the SR7-8X is only $108.00 I wonder why the newer board is almost a hundred dollars cheaper? Any ideas on why. Availability is another problem. The IT7-MAX2 isn't available from any well know companies (i.e. newegg, mwave, etc) while the SR7-8X is available at newegg. So anybody that has an opinion, or more important experience with these boards please comment. :burn:

I do not think that the SR7 is newer than the IT7 MAX2. The IT7 MAX2 has serial ATA, RAID, firewire, USB 2.0(a lot), optical out, ethernet, and 5.1 sound. That is why it costs more. If you are not concerned with having PS/2 ports or serial ATA go with the first IT7 which costs about $135 at Newegg. In place of serial ATA it has 8 channels of RAID 0 /or 1. Considering the $65 you save you could easily buy a new USB keyboard and mouse. 8x AGP will be overkill for awhile, so that does not really matter. My IT7 gets memory clocks well over 400MHz with stability.

Thanks for the advise and opinions. I think you are right about the 8X AGP. By the time that that option is a must have I'll have changed platforms at least once most likely. I'll look at the IT7 again. Could you show me a link to the memory that you have in your system because there seems to be so many different kinds. Thanks again.
Tyler:burn:

Back