• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Have a p1.7 (originally a dell) want new mother board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duke309

Registered
Im relatively new to O/C'ing, i have read some stuff and understand it, but i have some intel motherboard without possibility to o/c at all! (dell screwed me). I have money to get a new motherboard, let me give you the info of what i have, i want to keep as much of it as possible into new board as possible(unless it has it integrated), preferably a raid controller even though i barely know what that is =),

512mb rdram pc 800, leadtek geforce4 ti 4600, turtle beach santa cruz soundcard, p4 1.7ghz(i got this back when 1.7 was as high as it went) and that should be all you guys need.

I want the fastest motherboard yada yada,

**EDIT**
crap, i nearly forgot, the leadtek geforce4 has the ****ing huge heatsink and fan, my p4 came with a heatsink on it, im buying a new 80mm fan, i need some help on one too, i have my case open with a huge fan (high velocity air circulator *lol*) pointed at my open case and with it on high it can push air around very nice. I have the original dell case in which the motherboard is mounted kinda strange so if i need a new case just tell me, also my keyboard is not usb, is there some sort of adapter if the mother doesnt have the slot?

im looking for speeds at least 2ghz

Last edited:
Well, the bad thing is, that cpu is a willammate core, not a northwood. 2ghz with that, while not unlikely, will not hold a candle to what a northwood can do.
You'll also have to determine if the cpu is socket 423 or socket 478. If you have socket 423, you're pretty much out of luck.
If you are lucky enough to have socket 478, then go for an Abit TH7II. A socket 478 cpu will be almost covered by the integrated heat spreader. A socket 423 cpu will have a larger green border.
Oh, yeah... find out what wattage your power supply is. If it's not 300W at a bare minimum, you'd might as well get a new case/power supply, too.

Dude, you got a dell.... :(

the green thingamabob is barely covering the chip and heatsink, and how do i check the wattage, hmm i might as well get a new chip, a new motherboard and a new power supply, and probably a new case,

2.2ghz p4 ~200,
motherboard probably ~150
powersupply ~?

and i just spent like 600 bucks on my geforce 4 and 256mb of ram

hmmm heres an idea, i could just get a new motherboard and o/c it as high as possible and get a new chip later, don't know how the hell im gonna put the heatsink and paste **** on it

Last edited:
Actually, you should probably do OK overclocking with the Asus P4T, but this will cost you $114 shipped. It will allow you to go up to 120FSB.... which is about the maximum you could expect out of this chip. This is pretty much your only option except for building an entirely new computer.

So just to be certain... what are the dimensions of your processor? (In inches or centimeters) This will tell for certain which socket you have.

i cant really get down to the chip with a ruler but it looks like 6.5 cm, i want a mother board that will be good for a better chip too.

*edit*
I dont want to add another reply so, what the **** is the difference between a A and B and whatever models for some models of the p4's

Last edited:
Duke309 said:
*edit*
I dont want to add another reply so, what the **** is the difference between a A and B and whatever models for some models of the p4's

The ****'in FSB. :D

The "A" chips are designed to run on a 100MHz FSB, and the "B" chips at 133. (Since this bus is on a quad data rate, the effective speeds are 400 and 533, which are the numbers you see on P4 and mobo specs.)

But you overclock P4's by increasing the FSB, so if you run your FSB from the stock 100 to 133 on a system with an "A" chip, you just gave it the performance of a "B".

Also, you might have a problem using an aftermarket mobo inside your Dell case. Some Dell systems use proprietary power connectors and non-standard locations for mobo mounts. In English, you might not be able to mount an Asus or Abit board in your Dell case, and if you can the power supply might not connect to the new mobo. (Oh, and you will have mucho problems connecting the power and reset switches in your Dell case to any aftermarket mobo. Almost forgot about that...)

Not to be too casual about spending someone else's jack, but for little more than half of what you paid for your new video card and memory, you can get a case, mobo and P4 proc good for two gig and then some. (P4/1.8A: $148, Gigabyte GA-8IEXP mobo: $130, Cheiftec Server Chassis w/420W PSU: $70-all prices from Newegg)

BHD

you think a gigabyte is a good mobo? i was thinking about an abit or asus, yeah im getting a new case too, which case would be the best choice for not going crazy on price?

also about the cpu, im thinking about a Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 400MHz Retail box off newegg for 202
when it says CPU ONLY NO RAMBUS RAM it means it doesnt come with ram right?

**EDIT**
For the case+powersupply i have decided on a thermaltake Xaser II 6000 plus 138$ off newegg
and a Thermaltake 420w without activepfc because its not in stock(one with active pfc) 68$
I still need help on motherboard

Last edited:
Last first: Right. I don't know why Intel still asks that retailers state that the proc doesn't come with memory...but there is a lot that I don't understand. :D

I've heard mixed reports about overclocking the Gigabyte. But its feature set and reliability are second to none.

That 2.4 is a great deal. If you can swing it financially that's the best bang-for-the-buck in the P4 lineup.

About a case...ever hear the line "I may be drunk. But you're ugly and tomorrow I'll be sober?" This is a minority opinion around these parts, but I think how a case cools is as important as being sober. You can fix a temperature problem by adding fans. But a case you don't like looking at will be ugly no matter what you do.

Pick one you like looking at and, hopefully, one that makes you think it would be cool in this color or with that window or whatever. Have fun with it. Remember, no matter what pieces you put together, you can find a thousand people with the exact same thing. But a case pained '95 Mustang Yellow with silver drives...that makes it yours.

BHD

Since you have the RDRAM mem. see what processor you have.
If you have a 423 chip, get the abit th7-r,1 not the th711-r, it's made with the 423 socket. Look on e-bay, they're about 60-70 dollars. If you have the 478, get the th711-r.

You won't have to get new mem. but get a new p/s, and case.

The th7 is a good o/c board if you want to keep the old processor, but if you want the best, you'll have to spenda lot.

steve

im buying a new motherboard for my chip and when i upgrade, but I want the newest ones so i can upgrade later. I still need help choosing a mobo, i want one that will fit my 478 (im almost positive on this) has RAID, fits RDRAM pc800 (needs 4 slots) one that is stable is is easily overclocked

Last edited:
Back