PDA

View Full Version : Video card coolers


Mord-Sith
09-08-02, 02:49 AM
I havent looked into video card coolers in a while but I just started OCing my gf3 ti 200 and it seems like it wants to keep on going up but I want to get a better cooler. Is the Vantec Iceberq Copper Chipset Cooler the best thing on the market?? for air cooling. It seems a bit low quality for being the best thing I can find comercialy. Just wondering what you guys are all using for air cooling your vid cards.

Arkaine23
09-08-02, 03:32 AM
The best is a gpu waterblock of course. but a lot of ppl use copper iu rackmount heatsinks like the cooljag. If you look into an iu cooler, make sure its not too big.

Mord-Sith
09-08-02, 09:50 AM
Ya I cant see spending $250 to get my $100 video card to work a bit better. Ill look into that cooljag heatsink though.

mdcomp
09-08-02, 09:54 AM
They have the cooljag at newegg. ALso, the crystal orb is a good heatsink for your video card.

Da Whip
09-08-02, 10:06 AM
I just did an inexspensive VGA card cooler. I took a generic chipset heatsink (aluminum) and lapped it to a mirror finish. I had an old AMD Duron HSF laying around, pulled the fan off and was able to mount it directly to the Radeon 8500LE board. The fan is a Coolermaster 60x60x25mm 27CFM fan, musch better than the stock ATI HSF.
I place a thermal probe on the back of the GPU to monitor my temps. This "free" upgrade dropped 5C off the VGA temps. :D

Mord-Sith
09-08-02, 10:15 AM
Double post doh hehe. Thanks for the ideas guys. I had an old ppro HSF on my old Gf1 that works great but I still use that card hehe. The coojag for $23 shipped looks like a great deal to me.

SeedTick?
09-08-02, 10:35 AM
I put a crystal orb on my video card. AccessMicro.com had them for $11.00.

madsam
09-08-02, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Da Whip
I just did an inexspensive VGA card cooler. I took a generic chipset heatsink (aluminum) and lapped it to a mirror finish. I had an old AMD Duron HSF laying around, pulled the fan off and was able to mount it directly to the Radeon 8500LE board. The fan is a Coolermaster 60x60x25mm 27CFM fan, musch better than the stock ATI HSF.
I place a thermal probe on the back of the GPU to monitor my temps. This "free" upgrade dropped 5C off the VGA temps. :D

AND HOW DID YOU MOUNT IT? WITH ADHESIVE? I HAVE A FEW ATHLON HSF'S AROUND HERE AND I WANT TO USE ONE TO COOL MY GF4.

ALSO, TRY A FANWICH . I DID, AND IT WORKS GREAT.: http://www.overclockers.com/tips901/

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO ON USING A SOCKET A HEATSINK ON MY GF4.. :)

o770
09-08-02, 10:59 AM
or you might want to try this (http://www.heatsink-guide.com/gfxself.htm).

madsam
09-08-02, 11:05 AM
i like the sanwich idea on your link, but what is that alloy spacer made of? and where do i get one? and does that only work on that card? or on my gf4 as well?

looks like a great idea

Penguin4x4
09-08-02, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by SeedTick?
I put a crystal orb on my video card. AccessMicro.com had them for $11.00.

Cooljags are just 17 at NewEgg, ;) :D :cool:

Da Whip
09-08-02, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by madsam


AND HOW DID YOU MOUNT IT? WITH ADHESIVE? I HAVE A FEW ATHLON HSF'S AROUND HERE AND I WANT TO USE ONE TO COOL MY GF4.

ALSO, TRY A FANWICH . I DID, AND IT WORKS GREAT.: http://www.overclockers.com/tips901/

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO ON USING A SOCKET A HEATSINK ON MY GF4.. :)

There are 2 holes on either side of the heatsink. I spent $1 for nylon bolts and nuts, applied some A/S2 and it is very secure. I even lapped the GPU. (VERY CAREFULLY!!)

Da Whip
09-08-02, 11:43 AM
Here are the mounting holes on a GF4 4600;

madsam
09-08-02, 11:43 AM
yeah, ok. my card has 2 holes it uses for the stock cooler, and 4 extra holes for an aftermarket cooler i assume. i guess the socket a must be drilled.......

madsam
09-08-02, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Da Whip
Here are the mounting holes on a GF4 4600;

dude, my ti4400 looks identical to that,.....is that an abit?, mine is and has 2 more holes being used for the stock sink. see the 2 ram sinks in your pic? i used a 60mm delta and 2 screws to screw the delta to the sinks. the result is much better than i imagined, and it looks neat and cool too.

RyanRichard
09-08-02, 01:24 PM
i did a trickty trick with my GF2..after i got my V02-32 for my slot A.. i just chop shoped my stock cooler and stuck it on my card with my homemade adhesive (epoxy and AS3)
keeps it pretty damn cool

Mord-Sith
09-08-02, 07:05 PM
Good thing I started looking into vid coolers because I noticed today that my fan had siesed on my stock one.... I was getting 220/500 out of my gf3 ti 200 with no fan lol. So I grabed 2 socket 370 HSF fans mounted one to the stock heatsink after laping it and applying a little as2 and used the other one for a fandwitch. I just need a util to oc the 40.41s past 220/500 so I can see what this thing can realy do. Both the HSF and ram are now cool to the touch so my fans are helping a ton.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.