• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mord-Sith

I havent looked into video card coolers in a while but I just started OCing my gf3 ti 200 and it seems like it wants to keep on going up but I want to get a better cooler. Is the Vantec Iceberq Copper Chipset Cooler the best thing on the market?? for air cooling. It seems a bit low quality for being the best thing I can find comercialy. Just wondering what you guys are all using for air cooling your vid cards.

gpu cooling

The best is a gpu waterblock of course. but a lot of ppl use copper iu rackmount heatsinks like the cooljag. If you look into an iu cooler, make sure its not too big.

Ya I cant see spending $250 to get my $100 video card to work a bit better. Ill look into that cooljag heatsink though.

They have the cooljag at newegg. ALso, the crystal orb is a good heatsink for your video card.

I just did an inexspensive VGA card cooler. I took a generic chipset heatsink (aluminum) and lapped it to a mirror finish. I had an old AMD Duron HSF laying around, pulled the fan off and was able to mount it directly to the Radeon 8500LE board. The fan is a Coolermaster 60x60x25mm 27CFM fan, musch better than the stock ATI HSF.
I place a thermal probe on the back of the GPU to monitor my temps. This "free" upgrade dropped 5C off the VGA temps. :D

Double post doh hehe. Thanks for the ideas guys. I had an old ppro HSF on my old Gf1 that works great but I still use that card hehe. The coojag for $23 shipped looks like a great deal to me.

Last edited:
Da Whip said:
I just did an inexspensive VGA card cooler. I took a generic chipset heatsink (aluminum) and lapped it to a mirror finish. I had an old AMD Duron HSF laying around, pulled the fan off and was able to mount it directly to the Radeon 8500LE board. The fan is a Coolermaster 60x60x25mm 27CFM fan, musch better than the stock ATI HSF.
I place a thermal probe on the back of the GPU to monitor my temps. This "free" upgrade dropped 5C off the VGA temps. :D

AND HOW DID YOU MOUNT IT? WITH ADHESIVE? I HAVE A FEW ATHLON HSF'S AROUND HERE AND I WANT TO USE ONE TO COOL MY GF4.

ALSO, TRY A FANWICH . I DID, AND IT WORKS GREAT.: http://www.overclockers.com/tips901/

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO ON USING A SOCKET A HEATSINK ON MY GF4.. :)

i like the sanwich idea on your link, but what is that alloy spacer made of? and where do i get one? and does that only work on that card? or on my gf4 as well?

looks like a great idea

madsam said:

AND HOW DID YOU MOUNT IT? WITH ADHESIVE? I HAVE A FEW ATHLON HSF'S AROUND HERE AND I WANT TO USE ONE TO COOL MY GF4.

ALSO, TRY A FANWICH . I DID, AND IT WORKS GREAT.: http://www.overclockers.com/tips901/

PLEASE GIVE ME SOME MORE INFO ON USING A SOCKET A HEATSINK ON MY GF4.. :)

There are 2 holes on either side of the heatsink. I spent $1 for nylon bolts and nuts, applied some A/S2 and it is very secure. I even lapped the GPU. (VERY CAREFULLY!!)

yeah, ok. my card has 2 holes it uses for the stock cooler, and 4 extra holes for an aftermarket cooler i assume. i guess the socket a must be drilled.......

Da Whip said:
Here are the mounting holes on a GF4 4600;

dude, my ti4400 looks identical to that,.....is that an abit?, mine is and has 2 more holes being used for the stock sink. see the 2 ram sinks in your pic? i used a 60mm delta and 2 screws to screw the delta to the sinks. the result is much better than i imagined, and it looks neat and cool too.

i did a trickty trick with my GF2..after i got my V02-32 for my slot A.. i just chop shoped my stock cooler and stuck it on my card with my homemade adhesive (epoxy and AS3)
keeps it pretty damn cool

Good thing I started looking into vid coolers because I noticed today that my fan had siesed on my stock one.... I was getting 220/500 out of my gf3 ti 200 with no fan lol. So I grabed 2 socket 370 HSF fans mounted one to the stock heatsink after laping it and applying a little as2 and used the other one for a fandwitch. I just need a util to oc the 40.41s past 220/500 so I can see what this thing can realy do. Both the HSF and ram are now cool to the touch so my fans are helping a ton.

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

Back