• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROBLEMS: Overclocking 2.0a with 4g4a+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mychacho

Registered
Hi Guys

Im having problems with a Epox 4g4a+(i845g) and P4 2.0a retail that I picked up at frys with hopes of easy OC. I installed the mobo/cpu at default fsb and run cpu burn-in for 7 hours(overnight). The cpu run at 38C at idle and 44c under load.I then increased fsb to $133 with memory still at 266 and agp/pci locked. The computer would boot up and begin to load windows and then lock up. Sometimes it would lock up while loading windows, sometimes during boot up screen(right after POST). The cpu was running at 47c. When I reset it back to normal 100 fsb, it would boot up and load windows again, running at 38c idle.

THe cpu build # is BX80532PC2000DSL5ZT and I think it was made in mid-june. I am using crucial pc2100 cl2.5 memory. Whats going on? Both components that I bought at Frys were brand new retail items(not returned). I was under impression that I could easily take it to 2.66 by upping FSB to 133. Is 2.0a not as good of overclocker as 1.8a or 1.6a or is just the cpu Im using? Or is it the motherboard? I havent flashed it with new bios yet.....

Well, I upgraded the Bios to the latest official release(august 22nd) and removed that jumper and now the computer wont even POST. It starts beeping like crazy and the LED stops at C3 which is "Expand compressed BIOS code into DRAM" according to the manual...If i put the jumper back in at default, it seems to work find, alas overclocking locks it up.....whats up?

Back