• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P42533 w/2.0A will not POST at 133

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goatzool

Bilydkid1970 is running this mobo with a 1.6A at an FSB of 147. I have run mine at 120 for a while with no problem, but when I try to make that jump to 133 (where a new divider kicks in and brings the memory and PCI frequencies back to stock spec), I get a message from the ASUS POST reporter saying:
"CPU failed due to overclocking." I have tried maxing the Vcore to 1.7 through the BIOS, but still I wind up having to clear the CMOS by hand/jumper and reset everything.

Has anyone gotten a 2.0A to 133 and beyond with a p4S533, and if so, howdya do it??? Do I just have a crappy CPU?

lol i never knew there was an error message that says "CPU failed due to overclocking." anyways, whats the batch # on the cpu, i dont wanna jump and say you got a crummy CPU but it sounds like it to me, do you have the latest bios update? Even though i doubt its this but have you checked your ram?

Yes, it's the female voice that says "CPU failed due to overclocking". Her tone is not judgmental.

I will have to pull of the volcano to get the batch number.

I've checked the Corsair DDR333 XMS, it's fine.

No, I don't have the latest BIOS, so I will work on that. You folks in this group and in Intel CPU's have given me a lot of ideas, and I appreciate it. " 'll have to try them one at a a time.

P4 2.0A's are by far the worst overclocking P4 CPU's so I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a little to much for the chip to handle @ 133FSB. :(

Yes, I've done everything except wrap the pins to get above 1.7 volts. Flashed the BIOS, tried every setting in the BIOS for frequencies and RAM latencies, tried unplugging excess peripherals to free up the power supply, but can't POST. I'm getting a 2.26 this week. Once again, I suspect it's the luck of the draw, but if I get new in box, I'm probably better off because the non-new CPU's on Ebay have probably all failed some overclocker's expectations. already.

Get teh latest pack date you can for the 2.26b, the onescomming out now are hittin 2.8-3Ghz on air, and that would be a sweet thing indeed :beer:

I just wish I had voltage adjustment in this shuttle, i know my chip can get to 2.88Ghz no probs at all, oh well might have to attempt a wire wrap :D

Hi, Hexadecimal,

The 2.26 just arrived from an Ebay seller, NIB, the pack date is 7/16/02 and the location is Malaysia. I'll start playing with it real soon.

goatzool

Several days later: the 2.26 is humming at 2.62, but now I need a memory upgrade from XMS2700 to XMS 3200!!! Aiming for 2.8 on air. This board maxes out at 2822, the FSB can't be set above 166.

I've run a 2.0 at 2.666, but it required 1.68 volts to get there. Use the cpu boost jumper next to the socket assembly; set your ddram voltage to 2.7, and try 1.55 volts for cpu vcore in the bios. You may get a warning from the voice monitor (I have mine disabled). After you reboot, check the vcore reading in the bios hardware monitor. Keep increasing the vcore in small increments until you reach 1.67-1.7 volts, and see if it will post at 133 fsb. Good luck.

Hi, o1die,

At this point I'd have to put the 2.0 back in, because I rplaced it with a 2.26!! Going to sell the 2.0 to a friend who isn't such a speed freak. Thanks.

doing a vid pin mod

doing a vid pin mod, as i understand it, provides additional voltage on initial bootup where the bios adjustments to core voltage don't occur until sometime after initial power up.

an example of this scenario is when a system reboots (warm-boots) fine with a bios adjusted cpu core voltage increase but won't consitantly boot from a completely powered down state (cold-boot) at that same bios adjusted cpu core voltage increase.

anyway, my whole point here is to show people WHY we VID pin mod. and if they are not scared to bump up their voltage in the bios, they should be brave enough to VID pin mod to the same voltages.

my VID pin mod consists of a tiny strand of copper wire shaped into a U-shape. i dropped it into 2 holes in the socket using tweasers. then i put the cpu in the socket.

as far as 133mhz fsb CPUs, i wouldn't expect the 50% overclocking yields that aren't uncommon with 100mhz fsb CPUs. you've got 33mhz to go til the board tops out, and on top of that - the pci freq gets crappy after about 20mhz (153mhz) above your stock fsb. i'd say hitting 166mhz fsb on a fully configured p4s533 based system is pure luck - not to insult anybody though - but i don't think it's very probable.

VID-pin modding isn't that difficult, and it shouldn't be any more intimidating than a bios adjustment, as long as you can carefully follow directions.

that just may be where your best overclocking yields are hiding.

-BdK

cpu database

i'd take a look at the cpu OCing tallies in the database linked to from front of this site - unless you already have. i'd base my purchase on my budget and what seems to be the most probable in terms of best likely OC yields.

but that's just me. ;o)

-BdK

Back