• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Road to 3Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

debovenk2002

I just got my Asus P4B533-E and my P4 2.4B 533Bus CPU.

I am now at a 151 FSB for 2.718Ghz it is Rock solid Stable, Seti and Games for 3 Days Strait)
At 156 FSB the system runs fine and then it will blue screen then reboot. At 166FSB the system will not go into windows and at a higher FSB it won't post.

I have 256MB Crucial PC-2100 and some PC-2700 Corsair XMS is in the mail from newegg. The steping of my CPU is SL684 with a pack date of 05-06-02. Temps are in the 95F to 106F Range at full load. I also locked the PC at 33Mhz and the AGE at 66Mhz.

Anyone got a 2.4B to 3Ghz on the P4B533E?
Any Suggestions?

I would be really happy at 2.8Ghz but 3 is the goal.

Have you increased the CPU voltage at all? It's gonna need more voltage to get that high. Your memory might be holding you back at this point too, does that board have a memory divider that will allow you to run the ram at speeds slower then the FSB speed?

No I havent bumbed the voltage up. It seems to kill a lot of chips by doing that. I looking for the max I can get without a voltage increase.

My new ram comes tommarow and then I will see if 2.717Ghz is the best I can do stable.

debovenk2002 said:
I just got my Asus P4B533-E and my P4 2.4B 533Bus CPU.

I am soon to be on the same "road to 3GHz", with exactly the same hardware ordered. The difference to your config will be XMS3200 CL2 sticks, which I intend to push well over DDR400...

As for Vcore voltage, it is true that _excessive_ increase may burn your CPU in some months, but at the point where you are, it would help increasing it a little. Say, to 1.6 or a bit more.

Personally, I will also try to keep it as low as possible, but you will never get to 3GHz without increasing it...

Most of the people state 1.75V as the upper limit for not burning the CPU and this figure corresponds to official Intel safety limits: that's why I will never go beyond 1.68-1.69V !!! :)

Please keep us posted on results: it may help me when I finally get my hardware...

Well I was doing Seti work units in 3.3 Hours @ 2.171Ghz and was running Microsoft Flight Sim 2002 at the same time and I started to se studders in the graphics. So I backed my Cpu Back down to 150FSB for 2.7Ghz.

Seti now runs a unit in 3 Hours and Flight Sim no longer Skipps.

So I guess 2.7Ghz is the upper limit for my 2.4B with out a Voltage increase. I really can afford a new cpu so I can risk it. I plan to buy one of the P4 1.8Ghz and oc it to 3Ghz when I am garrenteed to get a C1 steping.

Skipper Good to see you have chosen the P4B533-E Great board. I am one happy Athlon swich over.

debovenk2002 said:
Skipper do you realise that 200Mhz FSB x 18 is 3.6Ghz for the 2.4B

Of course, but what's that gotta do....

I will (or anyone) never get my FSB to 200MHz, haven't seen anyone doing so :). At leat not without some liquid nitrogen :)

If I O/C my memory to beyond DDR400+, it doesn't mean my FSB is at 200, due to the 3:4 memory ratio, do you realize that? So, say I have DDR400, this means at 3:4 mem ratio, my FSB should be at 150.

Or is it me who's wrong here?

Well, the bottom line, I would ask more than being able to get me to FSB 400, but that's a dream...

Skipper I though the 3:4 Memory ratio was the reverse I think it means that the ram is running at 75% of the FSB of the Cpu I could be wrong.

I also would like to know what stepping your 2.4B is when you get it. And how fast your cpu gets with small votage increses.

Keep posting to this post and tell me of your progress

debovenk2002 said:
Skipper I though the 3:4 Memory ratio was the reverse I think it means that the ram is running at 75% of the FSB of the Cpu I could be wrong.

I may always be wrong as well of course... But I think 3:4 mem ratio gives you 4/3 of the CPU FSB for the memory for a simple reason: on some boards you can change this to 4:5 above certain FSB. The reason is that the FSB gets to high for a 3:4 (hence 4/3) ratio, so you should use 4:5 (hence 5/4, which is less than 4/3)...

Correct me if I am wrong...

I will post my results, but dont expect them too soon, I havent' even ordered my hardware yet!

Back