• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

asus TUSL2-C and memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azanon

Registered
I'm running a game that is reallly memory intensive and i was wondering even though the mb only "supports" 512mb memory, will this mb function if i stick in more than 512mb memory in, or would the bios prevent me from even trying it.

If the problem with more than 512mb is stability, would running the FSB at 100mhz provide the stability to use more than 512mb memory?

I use WinXP

Thanks,

Azanon

i doubt you run anything that will really need more than 512MB of system ram, even under XP, with that system.
you say about raising FSB to 100MHz, how high do you have it at? what is your system specs, and that program?

i would suggest you some tweaking because you cant add more than the 512MB, because there is a chipset limitation. as h2k says, it wont take more than that.

yep these guys are right...no 815 chipset board takes over 512Mb of RAM but you really dont need any more than that. I never have any problems with 256Mb of RAM even in the newest 3D games. You may just need to tweak your mem. timings a bit in the bios if you have good quality RAM you should be able to run at cas 2-2-2 5/7 (or very close to this) with your mem and CPU bus running at the same speed.

What are your system specs? Processor, memory, vid. card etc?

Sorry I should have mentioned the game, because you are right.. it is unusual for a game today to need more than 512mb of ram.. but there is one game:

Ever heard of Everquest, Shadows of Luclin? This game eats memory (and cpus) for breakfast, lunch, and supper. If you enable all detail settings and all the new character models on this game, and go on what everquest folks call a "raid" (that's where like 30-40 folks show up at one place to kill stuff) - it can bring a system with 512mb of ram to its knees.

Well, it sounds like you guys are telling me im SOL barring just getting a new mb that can support more ram.

Someone asked my current system specs, so here they are:
Win XP, Asus TUSL2-C, P3-S 1400mhz@1470, 512mb of 133mhz ram @ 140mhz CAS 2/2/2, GF4 Ti4600, SB Audigy Sound, ADSL 1.5mbps connection

you have a nice setup azanon.
the only thing i see there is that your cpu is holding your video performance a little bit, but the amount of system ram in this case doenst play a role in the game performance.

do u know how many fps you use to get in the most intensive part of the game? like when there are that many players running all at once?
also, for us to know if everything is normal, you could tell us what is your 3dmark score.

things i would recommend you to do are first to start overclocking your cpu. if you need help just please post us about your temps and voltage readings in bios. it seems like there is big juice left back for cpu, and some for memory clock too.

the only improvement i see relating to video performance and system memory, other than memory clock and timings, is you to make sure you have the latest intel chipset drivers installed, specially the agp one that has a driver named VGART, this will map the amount of system ram you have as aperture for AGP to be used by the video card, in a process named Direct Memory Execute.
if youve not installed the chipset drivers then you are most likely losing a lot of fps in games.

Back