• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!!! new system not booting - getting error beeps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nismo Nate

It seems laike forever i've been trying to put this system togehter for my buddy. this is the second MB we have got, the first was a refurb BD7-II RAID from newegg. Now we sent that one back b/ it didn't work and just got a plain BD7-II.

Well i'm not the best at putting computers together, but i have built about 3 or 4 for my buddies, an di work part time at a romputer rental company wher ei format HD's and change computer components all day long.

This is the problem: I've gone through all the steps of taking this out puttign this in to find the soruce. nothing seems to work. When i hit the power button. i get a constant series of long beeps. I've tried everything to my knowledge, and can't figure it out. Al i have hooked up as of now is the GF card, HD, ram ,cpu/cpu HS fan. that's it, still i ge tthe beeps, we tried putting in a GF2mx. same thing.

the componets are as follows:

MB: Abit BD7-II
CPU: P4 1.8a
HS: cooler master H-71
ram: single stick Corsair XMS 3200 512meg
HD: IBM 60 7200rpm
Vid: Gainward ti4200 128meg golden sample
cdr: lite on 40x
dvd: lite on 16x
SC: SB live 5.1 value
Modem: diamond supra max 56k
Case: Blue Cheiftec full tower

I'm hoping it's not the proc, i put on ASIII and made sure i wiped any excess with alcohol so i know there isn't any on it where it shouldn't be. I can't think of anything else other than the MB isn't grounded right but how do i check that?. these are all new parts and no refurbs. All from newegg.

If you have any ideas at all please let me know b/ my buddy leaves for school this thursday!!!!!

Thanks everyone
:beer:

If you want to check for shorts, take the MB out of the case, and run it on an anti-static pad. You can also disconnect the HD, as you first wan to see whether it POSTs at all. All you need fot that is the videocard, mem, CPU/cooler.

See how that goes...

Make sure the power supply is connected properly to the motherboard. There should be 2 of 3 connectors that go to the motherboard.

I had the same problem cuz I forgot to connect the 4 pin connector, and as soon as I would power up the system would start beeping. Try locating the error code. I dont know whether the BD7 has a display for error codes though (I have a TH72-Raid which does but it didnt help me much, cuz I couldnt find the error code).

Hope this helped.

make sure the cpu fan doesnt have a short or an open.most boards wont boot in that situation.also make sure its plugged into the correct header.if the mb backpane is touching anything metal,that can cause havoc too. lastly it wouldnt hurt to swap out the ram if if u can. good luck

Usually long repeating beeps is memory. Try re-seating the memory cards. Or try removing all but one of the memory cards a booting with one only.

Dave

cybercla said:
hey jimsum, what kind of cooling do you have (stock). Also what voltage do you need to run at 133 FSB? Temperatures?

Thanks

I am using a Prometeia cooling system (reviewed by Joe at http://www.overclockers.com/articles618/), i.e. phase change: very cool ;), about -7C/19F idle, -1C/30F stressed. It needs about 1.65 Volts to do 130. Currently I can't go higher, because my RDRAM craps out on me :(

Just wanted to let all you guys know, it was the ram... We went to Fry's and picked up 2 sticks of XMS DDR 3000 256 meg and the baby booted right up

I just wanted to thank all you guys for the fast reply's

WHERE O WHERE WOULD I BE WITH OUT OVERCLOCKERS.COM!!!

Back