• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help!! Asus P4S533 noobie

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pgudge

I just got a P4S533 and I have a 1.7GHz cpu

what and how do i do to set this to 2GHz +

I dont want EXTREME clocking, just something that is stable enough to run 24/7

Do I set on board jumpers or do it via bios?

system
P4 1.7GHz
Asus P4S533
Cosair XMS3200 512MB
GF4 Ti4600
CL SB Live 5.1
3C905C NIC
Standard >2.4GHz CPU fan.

thanks

Welcome.

Use the bios settings to adjust your board, it's much easier.

You want to overclock using the following steps.

1. Adjust the FSB 5 mhz over stock (105)
2. See if the machine boots stable.
3. Run a good benchmarking program against the machine to look for potential problems.
4. If the machine fails try setting the CPU voltage to the next setting up and benchmark again.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 upping the FSB another 5 Mhz.

Keep doing this until you get to a point where the machine won't boot then back off the FSB 1 Mhz at a time until it's stable to obtain your maximum overclockable speed.

As your going through these steps ALWAYS WATCH YOUR TEMPS. You don't want to cook your processor. If you get to a point where the temps are too high, back the machine off and get better cooling before proceeding. I wouldn't expect much more then 200-300 Mhz of an overclock with stock cooling by the way.

Some good programs to stress your machine to see what your load temps are would be Prime95, 3DMark 2001, etc. I'm sure someone else can recommend some good benchmarking programs also.

Pgudge,

The 1.7 Pentium IV is not the best overclocker out there, but with a little luck you should still be able to get it to the 2.0 ghz range without too much difficulty. All overclocking on the P4S533 can be done in the bios settings.

Mjones73 has given some good advice on the specifics of how you should procede, so I don't see the need to repeat what he's said. However, I will say that my approach to overclocking is a tad more aggressive.

I've never seen a processor damaged by overclocking at "default" voltage, so I tend to start fairly close to what I think a CPU's top overclocked speed will be as a starting point. If it won't boot, or if it's unstable (at default voltage), then I split the difference between the default speed and the last attempted overclock. From there, it becomes a matter of fine tuning, and tweaking.

Reaching the 2.0 range with a 17x multiplier will require an FSB of 117 -118, so I'd probably jump straight to about 115 at default voltage and test for stability. If it's stable, try for a little more using mjones' strategy. If boots, but it's not 100% stable, adjust the voltage settings, etc. and retest. If it won't boot and/or won't load the operating system, back down to a lower speed before messing with the voltage settings.

cheers guys,

I tried the aggressive way first :) i now i know i shouldn't have.

I started @ 105FSB, booted fine, then went to 107, then 110 all was fine.

Then i jumped to 115 and it booted and gave me about 1956MHz or something, but then stoped, when i went into the bios the screen was in grey colours and after pressing any key the machine locked.

In the end i had to remove the batterie to reset the clock :(

If 117/118 is for about 2GHz then should i put the Vcore up a notch and try again?

also:

I got some Cosair XMS3200 ram but when i run "Memory Bandwidth Benchmark" in Sandra it only gives me 2448 MB/s and the preset SiS 645DX PC3200 is @ 2937 MB/s. Whats happening there? I have the Asus board set to 3:6 in the ram clock setting.

Thanks again

pgudge

P4S533 overclocking

Hi, I'm relatively new to this forum and I have had the same board for about 4 months with three different processors.

First, don't pull the battery, use the clear CMOS jumper (near the battery) to short the EEPROM and reset the BIOS. I've done it so many times I can feel the jumper with my fingers without even looking any more.

Second, the instability you are getting between 115 and 120 FSB is probably due to the effect on your PCI and AGP bus. On this board, the PCI bus goes up prooprtionately to the FSB until 133, at which point it drops to 33 again. When your PCI bus gets to 38-40, some PCI devices and video cards start to complain. You can figure out if this is the problem by removing them temporarily, swapping out the video card (borrow one), etc. Other mobos (like Abit) allow you to lock the PCI bus at 33, and I'm appreciating the value of that feature because when you get to 120, you have to make a jump to 133 to keep your PCI bus from exceeding 40. You run a risk of corrupting data on your hard drive, or so I'm told.

Third, I wish I had bought the Corsair 3200 when I started, but they weren't making it yet, so I have the 2700XMS. Your memory bandwidth is lower than it should be, but it may be because the board itself was not designed for anything beyond DDR 333, and the SPD module on the memory stick is causing it to set up wrong. Have you tried setting the latencies manuallY? Try 2-3-3-5. I get a bandwidth of 2700-2800 with my memory, so you should do better than that.

Fourth, 3:6 is a high ratio because at an FSB of 120, that means your memory is at 240, and even DDR 3200 is only meant to go to 200. Try setting it at 3:5 , which will be right on spec for PC3200.

Fifth, the ASUS Probe program that came with the Board may not work, you may have to download the later version from the ASUS website. Once it is working, use the "recording" ffeature to keep track of temps as you do something processor-intensive, like play Doom, Quake, Unreal, etc. I try to stay below 50 centigrade, and you may find that hard to do with the stock HSF.
I have a Volcano 7+, and my complaint with it is its resemblance to a 747 taking off at its highest setting. But it should be enough to keep you cool at 2.0. Good luck.

I did intensionaly set out to make this a overclocked machine, but i ran out of pennies when it came to the case and stuff, so i just board and cheapo and thought i'd use it for a while then get a better case later.

This is way i bought a cheap fan, so i think the best think to do is leave the overclocking for a while, even though the XMS3200 is sat there pretty much doing nothing :(

RAM: okay you said 2-3-3-5 i take it you mean

SDRAM CAS Latency : 2
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay : 3
SDRAM RAS Precharge Time : 3
SDRAM RAS Active Time : 5

if so, :( the machine doesn't boot. It comes up with "del for setup" then goes blank.

pgudge

I think the BIOS for this board can't handle PC3200. It would be interesting to know if others with the P4S533 have had problems with PC3200 ? I'll post a thread, since I was thinking of buying some PC3200 to replace my XMS2700.

ddr400 aka pc3200

ddr400 runs on this board. i run above that spec myself 24/7.

i agree that the pci/agp freqs are likely too far out of spec. 38.33mhz is the pci frequency at 115mhz fsb.

i'd jump ahead to 133mhz fsb and see what happens. but that's just what i'd do. if you're skeered to go that fast, you'll have to back down your fsb to where it's stable and live with a smaller overclock.

i don't think 133mhz fsb (try it, you'll like it! ;o) i do) is too much for stock cpu cooling - i'd recommend decent case cooling though.

good luck.

-BdK

Back