• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-8IEXP Boot Loop Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HACK-ETT

Registered
I bought this board for a client and have nothing but problems. It won't shut down, just reboots back to the OS. It took forever to get the onboard raid working, with a fresh install of XP Home, but the floppy w/ the drivers finally took Could anyone tell me how to fix this boot loop problem, I've tried everything, setting the Optimal & failsafe defaults in the bios, disableing the onboard LAN. I'm hoping this is an easy fix, here are the specs, in case there are any known issuses w/ this
config that I'm not aware of. Please Help !!!!

P4 2.26b w/ stock cooling
Gigabyte GA-8IEXP w/2x 256mb Corsair xms pc2700
2x WD se 80 gig hard drives striped w/ onboard RAID
Leadtek GeForce3 Ti200 TDH w/128mb DDR
US Robotics v.92 PCI pro fax modem
Antec performance pro 860 mid tower w/ 330watt true power(front USB & Firewire connected to onboard headers)
LiteOn 32x12x40x and Toshiba DvD 16x48x w/mitsumi floppy

Do you mean swapping the PCI slot? I hope that fixs it. Its a US Robotics v.92 PCI w/the controller onboard. I'll be pretty disappointed if there is an issue w/ compatibility between the two. I'll never buy a product from Gigabyte again. :mad: . Anyways thanks for your reply, I'll check back after I visit my client and post what had to be done to correct it.

Sure enough, pulling the US Robotics v.92 modem out fixed the problem. Thanks Doc. I don't understand this though, it was working and now its not. Anyone know what modem will work w/this config? Maybe this mobo needs a controllerless modem. I'm still pretty disappointed w/this mobo. Why should you have to hit ctrl-F1 while on the main page of the bios in order to access the memory cas settings. It should be there by default. ASUS w/ intel based chipsets all the way from here on.

This board should have come with an install disk for the raid as well. What a pain in the a** that was, luckily I had another computer up and running so I could pull the drivers off the CD that came w/this mobo. For a mobo that came so highly recommended by so many sights, it's almost like they didn't even review the same board. How can things like this be overlooked in a review, mind you, I'm no novice when it comes to building computers, the only thing I'm guilty of is trusting the word of these hardware review websites when they give a great review for a less than perfect product.

The modem could be faulty or it could have an interrupt conflict with another PCI card. You could change the location of the modem PCI slot. Don't use slot 1 because most boards share the interrupts on slot 1 with the AGP slot.

The modem was brand new and i moved it to every available pci slot, its the only pci card in the system. It would shut down only when it was removed.

I've got another modem so we will see if this works. I'll post back on thursday w/ the results.

They should at least warn you of the obvious problems like the lack of a floppy w/drivers for the RAID setup in windows. It's about one thing in this forsaken world of ours, MONEY. It would cost to much to add the floppy so let the consumer jump through the hoops blindly, there a resourceful bunch, they'll figure it out.
Oh, one more thing to ruin my day, SCI-FI is cancelling FARSCAPE, G*D F***IN D***IT. The only show worth a damn on that station and there going to pull it before it has a chance to end properly, again all about money. SAVE FARSCAPE !!!!!!

Last edited:
Back