• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advise: New cpu for Asus P4t-e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Erhnam

Well.. I sold my old 1.8A and I'm going to buy a new one.. The old 1.8A ran very well on 2.4 ghz on a 533 mhz bus.

But what should I do ? I want to hit ( or at least try to ) 3 ghz or more.

Should I buy a new cpu ( 2.4/2.5/2.6 ) with the low 400 mhz bus, knowing that it will run very well on my old Asus P4t-e and trying to move the bus up till 533 ?

Or should I buy a newer 533 mhz bus cpu ? ( 2.53/ 2.6 ) but don't knowing if my p4t-e will work well on speeds beyond 533/133 ?

I would go for the 2.5 C1 stepping - good value and should go to 3ghz at least within your 133FSB limit...

I also have a Asus P4T-E and was running a 1.8A processor. I recently sold this and bought a P4 2.53GHZ and have overclocked this processor to 2960Mhz the highest the front side bus this motherboard supports. The FSB can be overclocked to 156Mhz via the jumpers. I did the wire wrap to raise the core voltage to 1.85.

Which chip did you decide on? I have been pondering the same question regarding chips for my P4T-E. People say to get a new motherboard, but the stability of this bad boy is hard to give up. It overclocks like a champ. I have been wondering whether or not you can get a 133 fsb with the new 100 FSB chips. I had been eying the P4T533, but all the issues seem to be scaring me away. I think going from Rdram to a DDR board would be a bit of a let backward trail? Not sure what the correct upgrade path would be?

nznutter said:
I also have a Asus P4T-E and was running a 1.8A processor. I recently sold this and bought a P4 2.53GHZ and have overclocked this processor to 2960Mhz the highest the front side bus this motherboard supports. The FSB can be overclocked to 156Mhz via the jumpers. I did the wire wrap to raise the core voltage to 1.85.

So a 133 FSB chip will work on this motherboard? What about the new C1 Morthwoods?

My chip is the B stepping so I am not able to verify that the C stepping works. I would assume that there would be no issues however as past experience has taught me that stepping changes don't tend to cause to many issues only major architectural changes ie. Willie to Northwood.

Back