• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR 400 and Intel 845e mobo's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wado1

i recently bought a northwood 1.8a and i have a question regarding the 845e chipset and ddr 400 ram. The specs for the chipset say only 200/266 but i see many people have 333 and 400 running in their mothierboards. My question is, is the ram running at 400/333 or at a lower speed since the chipset doesnt officially support 333 and 400.

I need to know this because i am going to buy the corsair xms 3200 and i need a motherboard fully capable of running and overclocking and from the reviews that ive seen the sis648 is unstable at 400. Thank You.

At stock processor speeds the ram runs at a lower speed, when you start overclocking and take advantage of the memory multiplier on most 845E boards you can get the ram up to PC3200 speeds.

Most of the 845E's I've seen have a 3:4 multipler which means you'd have to get the FSB up to 150 (which is totally possible with a good 1.8A) to get the memory to 200Mhz.

thank you guys for answering my question.....i have been leaning towards the IT7 max and xms 3200 and thats what i am going to get. Thanks.

Back