• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

unable to OC. nedd help please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mohak

My english is bad, so i try to explain. I'am not able to push my P4 2.8 more than 2.9 with memory at 4. I want just to reach 3ghz.
Need help.

Mohak,
What motherboard are you running? The P4T-533? You may have problems raising the FSB on 4x mode as the Samsung memory modules arent the best for overclocking, unfortunately you may have to drop to 3x but you should be able to reach over 3gig on that chip no problem......try to give us some more details if you want some help....

the mb is a p4t533-c, 4*256mo of pc 1066 samsung 32. G4 asus ultra deluxe 4600. lan. stock cooling. p4 2.8 c1.
Every time i reach 3ghz, the system reboot itself, i tried voltages from 1.525 to 1.75. The system is stable at 3.15 only if memory is at x3.
What can i reach with a p4 2.5 (400mhz fsb) at x4.
thanks for help.

mohak
I see you are on the c version with non 32bit rimms, it is still definetely your memory holding you back.....

Try cooling the memory chips a bit better using a couple of fans directly above the memory modules, does the memory have heatspeaders? Check the contact of the heatspreaders on the chips or try removing them, then replacing them and using some AS3 to achieve better thermal conductivity. Failing that you will have to do a voltage modification to increase memory voltage although this is not easy....or buy some better RIMM's that overclock better.

I have worked out that your FSB would be 150ish?? so your RAM will be running at 1200mhz in 4x mode....a touch high for standard voltage PC1066..

If you can reach 150FSB then you could theroetically get the 2.5/400 to about 3.75ghz!!! In practice this would require LN2 or a prometia at least. I would expect in 4x mode you will reach 133FSB max for a core speed of 3325mhz if you have the right cooling and can supply some extra volts to the CPU...125-130FSB in 4x is probably more realistic as the CPU will now hold you back rather than the memory.

Hope this has been some help :D

Markodude
thanks a lot. I'll check what you suggest. It's surprising to see that a 2.5 (400mhz) can go faster than a 2.8 (533).

Mohak, they are exactly the same core, but that is not really what I was saying....I was just trying to say that in theory with your RAM and the higher multiplier of the 2.50 may go faster, especially if you want to keep your RAM at 4x mode....
The memory voltage mod is probably the way to go, a few guys on the forum have done this - do a search....

Back