• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ABIT TH7II w/ 1.6A and BIOS code 29

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ahsia

Registered
Been spending hours trying to get this to work, until I finally read that the original BIOS doesn't work with the Northwoods. So what do I do know? How do I update the BIOS if I can even get the system to boot? I can't get my hands on a 256k version of the P4. Am I SOL? Please help!

ahsia said:
Been spending hours trying to get this to work, until I finally read that the original BIOS doesn't work with the Northwoods. So what do I do know? How do I update the BIOS if I can even get the system to boot? I can't get my hands on a 256k version of the P4. Am I SOL? Please help!

I was one of the first to use this combo and I paid a shop to flash my board with a 256k version they had in stock. NOW, all you need to do is call Abit at the # in the back of the manual and explain your situation. If you are in the US, they will send you a new bios for free! I did it, figuring they owed me for my troubles so now I have one for backup. It took less than a week for the exchange. Hint on the phone call, keep trying and then select bios when you get the automated operator.

I called them, and I have the option of either having them send me the BIOS chip, or RMA the board. My question is, how hard is it to swap the BIOS chip myself?

ahsia said:
I called them, and I have the option of either having them send me the BIOS chip, or RMA the board. My question is, how hard is it to swap the BIOS chip myself?
Not too hard if you are careful. Radio shack has a tool for around $10.00 that will do it in a snap. I made a tool from an old pointed set of electronic tweezers. I just bent the ends in 90 degrees. Worked well. Some have used a small screwdrivers to pryed the old one out, it can be done this way but there is a potential of breaking something, so I don't recommend it on a new board (unless you are fairy lucky and are truly careful).

It is easy to remove, do it CAREFULLY, on the lower right and upper left corners, there are small slots to GENTLY pry up the chip, a little on each side, until it lifts up. A tiny crochet hook works good, if Mom , wife, or sis have one.

steve

Back