• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having real trouble deciding on mobo...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nex

Registered
And was rather hoping you chaps could help out :D

Ok, I'd like a P4 mobo which *has* RAID, which can support DDR 333 but which will accept DDR 266, and which is relatively inexpensive.
The Gigabyte 8IGXP isn't available yet, so it's out of the window. Also, the Abit I845G board doesn't have RAID.
I'm dancing between about 3 or 4...
There's the Epox 4G4A+ which I've heard a lot of conflicting reports about in terms of overclocking stability, but it does have RAID. Don't like the location of the ATX socket though...
There's also the new board from Albatron - the PX845G Pro II - looks good but I'm just not sure...
And we also have the possibility of dropping down to I845E for the Gigabyte GIEXP...
A lot of questions. Can anyone give me some good recommendations?

You're right about RAID-equipped 845G boards taking their time in getting to market. And I share your concerns about Epox's reliablity. (Newegg won't give refunds on Epox boards, only exchange for the same item.)

But I gotta ask why you were aiming for the G chipset to begin with? If it was for the native PC3200 memory support, you can overclock several of the 845E boards to that level without sacrifcing stability.

Two value-priced boards I like are the GA-8IEXP that you already mentioned, and the Abit BD7-II RAID. Both are great boards. The Abit is more friendly to overclocking, while the Gigabyte has frustrated some owners because the needed controls are poorly documented and hidden in the bios. And in its favor the Giga has a better feature set and maybe the best stability and reliability of any P4 board.

BHD

Asus is a good start and stable platform for overclocking. My preference for overclocking mobo should have these features:
CPU VCORE adjustment
DDR Voltage adjustment
AGP Voltage adjustment
That's it!! Asus has it all...

Back