• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think my be6-2 is killing PSU's. now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joikd

Registered
It started out by not booting once in a while. I'd have to wait a few minutes before trying again. Then it would work. But, it progressively got worse (have to wait an hour or more), then I would get nothing (powered up, fans spinning, and that's it).

I switched out PSU's and everything was cool. Then, after a couple of months, the same thing happened.

Switched to another PSU (piece of crap)--only lasted one day.

Is the mobo trashed? Is it killing my PSU's? I want to replace with the same mobo, but they're hard to find now. Would an 815e mobo be as good as a 440bx mobo running a Cely-T?

Any advice would be appreciated.

- Abit BE6-2 1.2
- 1.1a Celeron (Tualatin)
- Radeon 8500 (64mb)
- Crucial 133mhz (cas 2) (512mb)
- IBM 60gxp (40gb)

Check the house current in that outlet to see if it's wired correctly and proper voltage coming out.

Mr. Lucey is correct. While crap PSU's can kill a mobo, I've never heard of a mobo taking revenge.

Chances are fluxuations in your AC current are whacking your PSU's. (And contrary to popular belief, surge protectors do nothing to protect you from these slight, but eventually damaging, changes in current.)

If the problem is your AC current, you won't like the solutions. The cheapest route ($150-300) is an UPS that only uses your dirty power to keep the battery charged. The current that goes to your computer and monitor comes from the battery, and is very clean. If you go this route expect to replace the battery annually.

The remaining solutions will require hiring a qualified electrician. Most of the time when this happens its in an older home or building and the quality of the wiring is the culprit, so the most common solution is either giving your computer gear its own, newly installed circuit, or rewiring the existing setup. If the electrician can prove the problem is the quality of the lead coming into your house you might be able to persuade your power company to fix it, but that is a rare diagnosis and a rarer solution.

If your computer works when you have a known good PSU installed, then your mobo is fine. I love the 440BX chipset, too, but I don't see a lot of downside if you have to go to the 815e. (And don't forget the other 440BX boards like the Intel Seattle that are much easier to find than the BH6.)

BHD

joikd said:
It started out by not booting once in a while. I'd have to wait a few minutes before trying again. Then it would work. But, it progressively got worse (have to wait an hour or more), then I would get nothing (powered up, fans spinning, and that's it).

Could this be the ABIT capacitor problem as this sounds the same as the powerup problems my BF6 had before it died. Try here http://www.overclockers.com/tips054

Back