• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My P4B533 can't O/C anymore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nuttavoot

I have been running happily with [email protected] at Vcore 1.85v for about 1 month but now it always restart just after starting WinXP Pro.

I have tried format HD and clean install WinXP but still same result. Also have replace HD, VGA, DDR, and PSU but nothing helps.

Vcore was set to 1.85V and FSB was 138 MHz all other set to Auto.

Now I have to set everything to Auto to make my system run stable.

Any suggestion.

Pentium IV 1.8A MHz
Asus P4B533
Winfast GeForce2 MX 32MB
Kingmax PC2700 256MB DDR
PSU 300W Enlite

Is this real ? I heard that 1.85V is the acceptable voltage to make it run stable when overclocked.

A cpu is set to run at a certain voltage. Although higher voltages allow more of an overclock, they also result in premature cpu failure. I'd say nuttavoot has a dying processor on his hands.

My 1.8A also runs at +2.6GHz at 1.675v. I think that the 1.85v cooked that processor. I have only briefly had mine at 1.75v. 1.85 v is too high!!!

Jola, is yours the first batches of the 1.80A?

I'm using the later one with the B0 shrunk core. :)
S-Spec is SL68Q.

TWY. mine is a May 2002 Malaysia. It is neither the latest nor the oldest, somewhere inbetween.

Can't find the box at the moment, will look for it.

But I am happy, can't complain about the CPU, although some of the newer ones are better.

Nuttavoot said:
Is this real ? I heard that 1.85V is the acceptable voltage to make it run stable when overclocked.

I'm not sure how long ago you read that but as the NW's have been in service longer people have been learning that anything over 1.75-1.8 can be damaging and kill a processor in a few months.

Update: my 1.8A also refuses to o/c anymore. I have to run it at FSB=100 in order to be stable.

I was running the chip at 1.675v, but on the P4B533-V this translates to 1.725v actual at idle.

I would suggest that even this is too high over a few months, and that one should try to keep the chip at 1.65 v actual or lower.

Just my 0.02!

Jola said:
But I am happy, can't complain about the CPU, although some of the newer ones are better.

My old 1.80A was a Malaysia February 2002 one. Can o/c to 2.4GHz, but at 1.70v Vcore. I didn't like upping the voltages, so I sold it away and got myself a new one which does 2.4GHz at default. :)

If you strongly think that it's a motherboard problem, maybe you could ask for a replacement.

1.8a lasted 6 months @ 1.70

My 1.8a ran perfect for 6 months or so @ 2.4 Ghz. It slowly lost the oc ability and eventually wouldn't oc at all. It did run perfectly fine @ 1.8 Ghz before I replaced it with a 2.53. I was pleased to get 6 months of use out of it under those conditions. We all know that overclocking and raising the vcore will substantially decrease the lifespan of the cpu. Unless your willing to buy another cpu within a years time, then I would suggest that you don't overclock that much.

I have found that I can run the 2.53 up to 150 (2.85 Ghz) no problem with stock vcore. We shall see how long this will last!

rek :)

Last edited:
TWY,

What is the FPO/Batch of your new 1.8a ? Mine is also made in Malaysia and so does Jola's.

It seems Malaysia Factory is not good.

Back