• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Speed goes on... and on... but what do we get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

penguinpoo

Im building a new system, and cant decide between AMD XP and Intel P4.... So im gonna compare the 'best of the best of the best' What do you think is the most STABLE :beer: and FASTEST:burn: Board out there for a P4, Of course I'll overclock it! ... Is the RIMM 4200 thing really better than DDR400? Im not botherd about bang for the buck - As i cant find a board over $230 (Which is in my price range) and I dont mind payin that extra $40 for that extra Megahertz. -Xeon are to expensive tho.

If money is no object today-and won't be a year or so from now when you want AGP 8X and S-ATA drives, the best stability and performance comes with 1066 RDRAM and the I-850E chipset. The Asus P4T533 is the board of choice in that configuration, and it is very fast.

But the 850E will be the Intel's last RDRAM chipset for desktop systems. Beginning next year they will only make Rambus chipsets for server boards, and that means when you want S-ATA and AGP 8X, you'll also need to replace your memory. (SiS has announced plans to pick up the desktop RDRAM market after Intel leaves, but most analysts are taking a wait-and-see attitude on this board actually going into production.)

My choice would be a DDR setup using an Asus P4B533E or Abit IT7 MAX. Both can be pushed to the performance level of a 1066 RDRAM system, and have exceptional stability. And with quality memory, you should be able to transfer your RAM to a Dual DDR board when they become available.

My choice for that memory would be Corsair XMS3200 CAS2.

BHD

I have an IT7 1.8A with Corsair XMS3200 266 Meg. Rock solid no problems. You will like this board.

Back