• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help me with my Asus P4B533-E settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Space Goat

Registered
Hi,

I got an Asus P4B533-E, P4 2.26, and Corsair XMS 3200 C2 512MB. I've tried overclocking it, but it seems to max out at 168 x17 = 2856. I really wanna hit 3.

CAS 2 (no change)
RAS to CAS 3 ->2
RAS precharge 3 -> 2
Active recharge 6 -> 5
CPU Vcore 1.575v
Ratio 4:3
FSB 168

Any thing I'm missing?

Thanks a lot!

Try backing the memory timings down. Your pushing the ram 12Mhz over it's rated speed already and it might be holding you back. If that doesn't work then try a 1:1 memory ratio. Just keep in mind your gonna take a big hit in memory performance with the 1:1 ratio. If you can only squeeze a few more MHZ out of the FSB your better off keeping it at the speed it's at with the 3:4 ratio.

Actually... I think his RAM is underclocked.. not overclocked. If he's actually running 4:3@ 168, then his RAM is only running at 126MHz (252 DDR). And.. since he has 200MHz(400MHz DDR) RAM.. that's quite a ways from 'pushing' it.

Your memory timings are pretty aggressive, however. Were it I, the direction I would take : enable the memory multiplier dip switch trick and set the multiplier to 3:4 (224Mhz/448MHZ DDR) and then just set the memory timings to SPD controlled.

If it won't go at 448DDR, then I'd try backing things (FSB) down just a bit until it will go. You'll gain a lot by having a really fast memory bus... even if you lose a couple MHz off the total processor speed. Of course, testing things with your fav benchmarks before and after will be the final judge of that.

James

Your probably right, I'm use to my P4B266, it lists the ratio as Memory:CPU = 4:3 in the bios, that have it backwards. I assumed the P4B533 did the same thing.

Space Goat, you're underclocking your RAM. ;)
Instead of setting it at 4:3, leave it to 1:1. If you want 3:4, then you'll to do the DIP switch trick.

Also, why do you set your Vcore at only 1.575v? I do expect better figures if you raise it to around 1.625v.

To hit 3GHz, you'll need an FSB of 177MHz. 177*17=3009.
If you run 3:4 ratio, your RAM goes at 236MHz (472MHz DDR).

But I suggest you leave the ratio thingy at 1:1 and don't meddle with the DIP switch first. If your computer boots and runs stuff stable at 3GHz, then do the DIP switch trick to make the RAM run at 236MHz. :)

Back