• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking asus motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rodfoster

I am a newbie to overclocking and am pretty much a rookie with the whole system. I am thinking of overclocking my asus motherboard ( cuv4x-e/533/woa/6p-uayz ) . I don't want to overclock it much and only want to add maybe an extra fan for cooling. I am not an extreme overclocker. What software should I use to monitor the motherboard tempature etc. What othersoftware do I need? How much can I overclock without adding more than just a single fan for cooling. oh ya my current motherboard is an asus 633mhz ( ya I know it's old, lol)

hello rodfoster.
welcome to the forums!

i had that mainboard once, along with a PIII 800EB. that was a setup i could never overclock well, because the already high Front Side Bus (133MHz), that mainboard was not quite stable at the higher buses, so you might need good cooling on yours.
some of the tools everyone is using is:

Motherboard Monitor is far the best monitoring program of voltage, temperatures, rotations etc. this is a little bit complicated to configure at first. read information from help, or search the forums for other programs ppl are running.
Sisoft Sandra is a diagnostic utility for almost the whole system.

3dmark will stress the system and benchmark video performance and
Prime95 is one of the best programs to stress the system.

those are the basic tools ppl are running to test their systems. they are already about all you need to start overclocking yours safely.

there is this guide to overclock intel processors that you might think is helpful, once you will deal with temperatures and voltages, and different frequencies for system buses.
this other is about how the voltage influences the cpu, and why and when you need it to be modified.

as for how high you can get yours, this is something you have to find out on your own. this depends on the other components in your system like the pci devices etc, and the current temperatures of your CPU and chipset.
hope this helps!

cool.

i know this is the kind of thing we use to look for when we want to start learning something. we visit some websites containing all this kind of utilities but then there are so many.. keep tuned and ask about everything you need help with!

Back