• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit temp reading high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SoL

Does anyone know for sure if Abit motherboads read higher temps then they actually are?

Thanks,
SoL

I'm not sure about the BD7II, if that is the Abit motherboard you are talking about. I do know that the Abit ST6 reads the CPU temp from the on-die sensor, so it displays a much higher temp than motherboards that use the thermistor located on the motherboard itself.

Take a look at your motherboard and see if there is a thermistor located on the board underneath the CPU and inside in socket. If not, then the board probably reads the temp from the CPU itself.

Over the last month or so their have been many posts on the problems of bd7II boards reading a bit high on temps. Some say up to 10 degrees. I don't know if mine is that high, but I know my temps aren't as high as they read. I'll run up to to 53C running Prime 95 and my heatsink is hardly warm to the touch. I have excellent case cooling and there's no way I find my system temps to be accurate.

Intel-based boards read the temperature from the on-die thermal sensor of the CPU.

However, ABIT as well as certain boards from manufacturers like MSI, Epox, also have high temperature issues of 10°C more.

I only know of Asus and Intel boards not having this issue.

Well, I have a BD7-II, It reads cpu temp about 15c to high. I confirmed this by taking my 1.6a ,removing the heat spreader and end milling a slot in it to put a temp probe next to the die.

As for the IT-7max , It reads the cpu temp about 5c higher than what it really is.

Having had 2 th711 boards and an it7, I think they all are running hot. I know that two are running hot, the third might be correct.

Also the voltages are different on all three boards.

All results with the same psu, cpu and hs/f, o/c was the same.

I should have recorded it all but...

steve

my BD7-II raid is displaying temperatures wrong too... some people say that abit INTEL motherboards are displaying the temperature about 10% too high... i bet that my system temperature can't be 40c on default settings and with good cooling...

Estra said:
my BD7-II raid is displaying temperatures wrong too... some people say that abit INTEL motherboards are displaying the temperature about 10% too high... i bet that my system temperature can't be 40c on default settings and with good cooling...

Yeah thats about what I'm getting too, I hope they are wrong, I have 5 case fans.

System temperature seems to be the Northbridge temperature. But nevertheless, it's still inaccurate. :D

My ABIT BD72
Willemette 1.8 @ 2.0
256 ram
120mm extra case fan

BIOS READING
53 cpu temp

Winbond reading

47 cpu temp

Somethings definately Up... lets get some more temp readings
hey maybe sombody could talk to ABIT and give them a shake.

I mean you make this MOBO specifically for OC and tweeeking.

in OC and tweeking the number one rule is TEMPERARTURE,
right ?

Well seems like some Law suit are in thew works since
we are not getting as advertised...(not me but what about the poor guy who is running at lets say 5 deg less than stable and
is running his rig at 20 deg less than he could....thats a hell of a lot of juice to go to waste.

Not only that.. I was trying to bring my temps down becuase a thread i posted asked if 47 - 50 was ok for my "willy p4" well i wasted a whole lot of time tweeeking and buying thermal gear..
cus people said ..hellno i´m running ant 34 , 40, etc...now i find that i might have wasted loads of time and money.....

anybody else think the same..... well i´m happy its readig 10 deg more than less but still, ...listen to us OC´rs debating 5 deg here 10 deg there and getting allc huffed at FAKE numbers..

LETS GET SOME COMPARINSONS UP FOLKS AND GET THIS MESS CLEANED UP !

Now we see faulty temp readings, maybe all ABIT bbd7ii owners could get a hell of a lot more juice out of thier rig. and give a bit a marketing boost... i mean.. ATTENTION ALL ABIT USERS YOUR RIG IS RUNNIG AT 10 deg LESS THAN YOU THOUGHT... NOW YOU CAN GET EVEN FATSER...There will be a load of happy abitters around. with a simple Sorry form them would do me fine !!!

Ta !

i have an abit bd7-2, NW1,6@2,8 at time
idle-temps are cpu 43°, NB 43°
running prime cpu 60°, NB without any more coolers over 75° (up to 80°)
with a cooler for the NB temp is 70°

the temps are a little bit better with the BU-Bios than with the first bios.

I have BD7II with [email protected] (162 FSB).
HSF (AX-478, 48.5 CFM fan, AS3).
Idle ----------CPU 45C, MB 34C.
Prime 95 ----CPU 59C, MB 50C.
It is perfectly stable, but what a crazy temps. At first I thought I did something wrong when I install the HSF, but after redoing it for 5 times there is no difference in temp. I guess it's somthing that every BD7II owners have to live with.

BTW, temps are from MBM5.

Are you guys saying that this is a design fault on ALL BD7-II boards? Or are you suggesting that some boards in particular are faulty?

For the record, my temps on my BD7-II with a 1.6a @ 2.13 are CPU idle 37C, load 48C & System idle 42C load 50C.

I'm not saying it's a fault with BD7-11 boards, it is something with all p-4 abit mobos, IMHO.

steve

Abit Temp Readings

Just a few quick comments.
I recently went from a Asus P4s533 to a short lived Asus P4S8X
and now have a Abit IT7 Max2 v1
Same case/hardware/fans
Both of the Sis based boards reported Case as 30 and 31 respectivly, and 41 and 43 CPU under load
My Abit reports Case as 33 CPU no load 48 and runs up to 54 under full load.
The Sis boards also take the temp from the chip itself?
I would guess that the Intel Chip might just run hotter

Seems pretty widespread........ running an Abit BD7-RAID 1.8A at 2.25.... idle 39 and 45 under full load. (Case temps 29 idle to 36 under load)

Can't wait for a GB chipset to see if it drops.

Back