• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

845g M/b?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrHatchet87

Registered
Hey, I was wondering what 845G m/bs are worth the money. I want to build a system very soon, but I want to wait for the Radeon 9500 Pro to come out (9700 Pro's a little too expensive), so I was thinking that I could just buy a m/b with integrated video and just deal with that until the video card comes out.
Anyways, as for features, I'd like to see 5.1 sound, RAID (preferably Highpoint), integrated LAN is a plus. Of course, I want it to be stable, and being a good overclocker doesn't hurt either. And price IS an issue.
So far, the best option looks to be the Epox 4G4A+ which I've found for $100. But I'd like to know what you guys think.
If you're curious, I'm planning on building this system with a P4 2.4B, and 512MB Corsair XMS 2700 C2, when I o/c. My aim is to run the system at 166 FSB with RAM clocked synchronously (possible?). Thanks for any input.

Edit: Actually, I'll probably get 512MB XMS 3000 C2 RAM instead, or maybe 512MB XMS 3200 C2.5? I don't plan on pushing the RAM too hard.

Last edited:
I screwed around with a Gigabyte GA-8IGX last weekend and was pretty impressed. If you don't want to overclock, the 845G is the fastest stock DDR chipset you can get for the P4 (thanks to native support for DDR333) and its a great bargain, too.

But the Epox is the only RAID-equipped G board I've seen advertized for sale. And Newegg has slapped it with the "**This item is NOT REFUNDABLE, exchange for same exact item only!!**" banner. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've never read that as an endorsement of a products reliability.

If you can't find a G board with the features you want, another option would be to get an 845E and pick up a cheapo video card to plug in.

BHD

Last edited:
Yeah. I was also interested in the Epox board until I heard about some reliability issues with Epox in general. It could be all ironed out now but I still stayed away from them.

The Epox board appears to overclock quite well, when you get one that works well, and the feature set is quite extensive.

My gut instinct is to endorse what BHD just posted and repeat "get an 845E and pick up a cheapo video card to plug in."

Cheers

Back