• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help With Th7-ii Raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What2097

Registered
Hi, I have recently upgraded to an Abit TH7-II RAID because my D850MD wouldn't overclock.
Anyway, I need help on overclocking. When I choose a speed apart from 2000Mhz, on reboot i get a message saying:
CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU

I will try upgrading the bios to the newest one on their site now to see if it fixes this.

If it does not, then I'm stuck. Please help.

BTW, I'm using a 2.0GHz chip, 100MHz with a 20x multiplier.
384 RDRAM 800
Maxtor 60gb & IBM 80gb
Also, I was using a Geforce 2 Ti until it broke so I'm using a TNT2 Pro until my Geforce 4 Ti 4600 arrives

Thanx in advance

I have the same board and have seen this message. It is just letting you know it was changed. Accept the change and you should not get it again until you make another change.

What2097 said:
Anyway, I need help on overclocking. When I choose a speed apart from 2000Mhz, on reboot i get a message saying:
CPU is unworkable or has been changed. Please recheck - CPU SOFT MENU

If it does not, then I'm stuck. Please help.

Thanx in advance

It could be the method you are using to try to overclock. The 2GHz CPU uses 100MHz FSB and 20x multiplier. The CPU is locked on the multiplier. To overclock, you change the FSB to a value higher than 100MHz. You should very easily get to 112MHz with little or no adjustment to the CPU voltage.

I put my multiplier up to 21 and it hung.
So now I'm trying 15 multiplier with 133 mhz bus.
Its alrite I think. I'm gonna play a game and see what happens.
But yeah, I think I'll go with putting the multiplier back to 20 and increasing the fsb from 100mhz.
thanks.

btw, can you explain to me what increasing the volatage does. Does it increase the power of the fan/ make the fan have a better cooling speed??

Thanks

It should sa on the bottom line " press f1 to continue, del to enter bios" or something like that, just hit f1 and you'll go on to bootup.

steve

Ye, I got past that bit ;)
Thanx. Can you explain to me though some info I may need to know. :) Appreciated

The voltage increase is to increase voltage to the processor, if you get the dreaded BSOD, increase the voltage GRADUALLY to 1.7 v

steve

Go to the front page- there is all kinds of o/c info, but don't be afraid to ask here. I'll do what I can.

steve

BIOS says cpu recommended and 1.7v is selected, but faded. Is it 1.7v right now then?

Download MBM and install it, WATCH YOUR TEMPS, temperature control is critical for CPU health.

steve

I use MBM but my temps dont come up! EEK... Any other suggestions for software...?

Anyways, I changed from 15multiplier back to 20 and things are better. I also went up to 105 MHz (which now makes it 2.1GHz), and its running noticeably faster !!
So far so good, but I suppose I do need to check my temps.
So bro's hook me up with the software please ! :D Thanx alot for the help!

What chip do you have? 2.0 w?

If it says L-2 cache is256 you have a wilammette CPU, the CPU select voltage is 1.7 v default. you are safe to go up to 1,9 or 2.0 I think.

I am not at my machine right now but , I think the line above the "1.7" is the line to adjust to "user select" or something like that.

If someone can't help you now, i'll be home later and help.

steve

Yeah I got willamette l2 256 cache.

Increasing the voltage to the cpu... what does that do ?

And recommend any good software which will work ?

You'll have to wait 'til I get home, all my documentation is there.

steve

It works now. I didnt know I have to configure it. Let me finish configuring and then I can see my temps
Thanx again

You know, with all the help I'm giving you, I am going to ask you to fold for the cause.

steve

What does that mean ?

And BTW, if WinBond 2 Diode is my temp, then I'm at 39ish when idle.

I have o/c'ed to 2.2GHz and am at 40-42 degrees when idle.
Not bad me thinks.
What is a good temp when idle, and what is a good temp when under load. Or should I say what is the max temp I should be keeping.

Ok, I can do multiplier 20, FSB 110 max. Anymore and it hangs.
If I increase my voltage from 1.7v to something higher, will this help me stay stable on higher speeds ?

And what is a recommeded fan/cooling solution for £30ish max which may allow me to go perhaps up to 2.6 or 2.7 GHz?

Thanks

Increase the voltage by 2 or 3 jumps( 1.75 or 1.775 v) that might help with o/c.

The fastest Wilammette CPU is the 2.0, most chips don't get much o/c above the fastest chip in each series. my 2.0A will not go above 124 FSB.

That might be all you can get out of it.

Go to the Folding @ home forum, there is all kinds of info on folding. This is a good way to test your CPU under load.

you don't want to run above 60 degrees ( i think) for a willy.

steve

Back